Too old to become and Electrical apprentice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon,

Well, I been in the software and IT industry for over 20 years and am looking to change to a career the fits with my original love: working with my hands.

I've been thinking about this for a few years now and have visited the local union hall and applied for the Electrical apprenticeship program. From the orientation, I determined that due to the competitive nature of the program I figured I will not get in on the first round. This may be a blessing in disguise as I realized I'm going to need save more money to get by first the first few years as and apprentice.

Now the crux, If I save for 3 more years, I would be 46. Is that too late to start the Electrical apprenticeship program? I fear it might be. My Dad was an Electrician and I helped him out on occasion and know what a physical occupation it is.

I have two fears: Can a 46 year old body handle the Electrical 1st year's apprentice's duties: digging ditches, digging post holes, etc? Will a 46 year old apprentice get laughed off the job site?

Thanks for any insights.

-wouldbeapprentice

StephenSDH

My previous company had several people in your shoes. We even had some people who retired and started working as an electrician from scratch just because they felt like they had a couple more years to give. Gotta do what you enjoy regardless of the money or you will never be happy. You would probably be a great asset, being that you have the IT background.

macmikeman

I have two fears: Can a 46 year old body handle the Electrical 1st year's apprentice's duties: digging ditches, digging post holes, etc? Will a 46 year old apprentice get laughed off the job site?

Thanks for any insights.

-wouldbeapprentice

Depends on how sturdy the 46 year old body is. Mine is fine and I'm close to ten years older than you. Now for the other part, Amelia Airhart was probably subjected to some sort of rubbish like that. Same for Tatoo. Both made it to the very top of their field:grin: so hang tough and go for it. Remember - "safe zones are only for cadavers" author presently unknown.....

celtic

I've been thinking about this for a few years now and have visited the local union hall and applied for the Electrical apprenticeship program.

Now the crux, If I save for 3 more years, I would be 46. Is that too late to start the Electrical apprenticeship program? I fear it might be. My Dad was an Electrician and I helped him out on occasion and know what a physical occupation it is.

Can I introduce a new fear?
Local apprentices [in the "A" program] do not dig many ditches or post holes....the ones that are hand dug will be done before lunch ~ the bigger ones will "trenched by others"....ie, backhoes.
So don't worry about a 20' ditch :smile:

If accepted at 46, how many years of pension credits will you have accumulated?
Will you have - between the IBEW pension, annuity, NEBF,etc AND your own retirement savings - enough money to retire and enjoy the fruits of your labor?

SegDog

good work ethic

good work ethic

If you show up everyday on time, without a hangover, and don't go out to lunch to smoke whatever, you're a step ahead of the crowd...

Best of luck...BTW, reading Mike Holt gives you all the advantages.

360Youth

My father-in-law has been working part time with us for a little over a year after retiring from civil service work. He mainly does generator maintenance, but has helped out on more than one occassion with the electrical, including ditch work. BTW, he turns 63 today. I am sure you have a lot more to offer than you realize.

rcarroll

I say do it. It's better than spending the rest of your life wondering. If it doesn't work out, at least you tried.

I started taking karate at age 47. I got my black belt 3 months before I turned 52. :wink:

Good luck!

electricalperson

if i had an apprentice that was 46 years old i would feel bad if i send him under a house to do the dirty work

if you get into the trade be prepared to work with kids half your age telling you what to do

cal1947

retired electrcian

retired electrcian

Can I introduce a new fear?
Local apprentices [in the "A" program] do not dig many ditches or post holes....the ones that are hand dug will be done before lunch ~ the bigger ones will "trenched by others"....ie, backhoes.
So don't worry about a 20' ditch :smile:

Will you have - between the IBEW pension, annuity, NEBF,etc AND your own retirement savings - enough money to retire and enjoy the fruits of your labor?

he will have better retirement, then if he did not start in the trade

celtic

Well, I been in the software and IT industry for over 20 years

he will have better retirement, then if he did not start in the trade

You think 15 years in the trades would better than some sort of company matched 401 plan paid into for that additional 15 years...plus the self-funded IRA contributions, etc?

At this stage, he may be able to fund the IRA.....jumping ship, he may not be able to part with the cash at apprentice wages to fund that account~ and may need to claim hardship withdrawals [if possible].

76nemo

Age is NOTHING but a number. You do what you want NOW. Don't second guess yourself. Do it now and be happy with it. NOTHING is holding you back.

highendtron

If you are the easily discouraged type...if being laughed at upsets you...if hard physical work is not your forte...if you can't stand to not be the boss...if every job has to be your way...if your wife likes clean nails and slacks on a man...stay with the IT field!

Ebow

Don't worry about your age, worry about your physical ability. At 51 I still do a bit of attic work and still dig ditches if need be (just maybe not as fast as the young guys). Any of this type of work is far different than working out at the gym a couple days a week. So is spending all day up and down a ladder or squatted down connecting recepticles. There are a few fears you really cannot have either, or at least be able to control them mostly heights and tight spaces, but fear of bugs and snakes can come into play quite often. Depending on what type of electrical work you do you will eventually come up against something that makes you uncomfortable.
You do need to be able to learn and keep learning as you go. Sometimes electical problems are only obvious when you find them, sometimes they are as obvious as a fish in the ocean. I think it is an honorable occupation and there are a lot of good guys (and gals now a days) out there doing it.
If you have the gusto go for it.

Gene

Remember - Speed Kills and its not always you.

Status
Not open for further replies.