Service Change and Bonding CATV & Tel

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkgrady

Changing my first service under 2008 code in a residence. Existing telephone and CATV are bonded to metal water pipes with clamps in the basement. The drops are within a few feet of the SE drop/Meter location.

Code requires me to remove the CATV and telephone bonds that run inside and redirect them to a set of terminals on the outside of the meter socket? Do I have that right? Or can the existing bonds be utilized? Looks like #14 any color and insulated is required. Can I drill and tap a typical small grounding bar into the outside of the meter can?

Thanks for responses, Mike

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
They make gizmos that either mount on the meter can or attach to GEC to the ground rod. Ask your supply company about them.

Here is one such system by T&B. They are called an intersystem bonding termination

1202158872468_d5_6lg.jpg

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I think you have a valid question. 250.94 state that you "provide" an intersystem bonding point. If the water pipe to which the existing grounds are tied is still bonded I'm unsure if I would want the liability of reworking their grounds.
Dennis' links show examples of the terminal you can provide.
To me, the "safe" way would be to provide the means and notify the phone and CATV folks and tell them of the change.
(although I have relocated them but I don;t always take the 'smart' road)

joebell

I think you have a valid question. 250.94 state that you "provide" an intersystem bonding point. If the water pipe to which the existing grounds are tied is still bonded I'm unsure if I would want the liability of reworking their grounds.
To me, the "safe" way would be to provide the means and notify the phone and CATV folks and tell them of the change.

I'm with Gus , the book only requires you to provide an intersystem bonding point not actually remove what is existing. I would leave the existing grounds alone

mkgrady

They make gizmos that either mount on the meter can or attach to GEC to the ground rod. Ask your supply company about them.

Here is one such system by T&B. They are called an intersystem bonding termination

1202158872468_d5_6lg.jpg

I guess my way could be considered home made or not listed for the purpose?

Here is one by Ilsco

ilsco_issue294.jpg

I think I read somewhere that the connection must be above ground.

If they alreadt have ground connections that seem adaquate, I wonder why I couldn't stop at providing? Am I obligated to call them?

I'm with Gus , the book only requires you to provide an intersystem bonding point not actually remove what is existing. I would leave the existing grounds alone

I couldn't find any requirement for me to make any new connections, I was just assumming it must be my job. I hope it isn't.

raider1

Staff member
Well, I like that even better if it's true.

Here is the exception to 250.94:

Exception: In existing buildings or structures where any of the intersystem bonding and grounding conductors required by 770.93, 800.100(B), 810.21(F), 820.100(B), 830.100(B) exist, installation of the intersystem bonding termination is not required. An accessible means external to enclosures for connecting intersystem bonding and grounding electrode conductors shall be permitted at the service equipment and at the disconnecting means for any additional buildings or structures by at least one of the following means:
(1) Exposed nonflexible metallic raceways
(2) An exposed grounding electrode conductor
(3) Approved means for the external connection of a copper or other corrosion-resistant bonding or grounding conductor to the grounded raceway or equipment

Chris

220/221

I'm with Gus and Joe , the book only requires you to provide an intersystem bonding point not actually remove what is existing. I would leave the existing grounds alone

electricmanscott

I'm with Gus and Joe , the book only requires you to provide an intersystem bonding point not actually remove what is existing. I would leave the existing grounds alone

I'm am partly with you. I agree leave the existing alone but I also see the exception specifically saying no need to install the intersystem bonding at all.

knot stable

The one above electricmanscott is showing is great. You mount it on the house and bond to GEC with an #8 and your done. No screwing into the socket. I've seen the others used but they clamp on the front of the socket sometimes pulling the front out and letting water in. Besides how good of a bond you getting with all that paint on the socket?

Hendrix

The one above electricmanscott is showing is great. You mount it on the house and bond to GEC with an #8 and your done. No screwing into the socket. I've seen the others used but they clamp on the front of the socket sometimes pulling the front out and letting water in. Besides how good of a bond you getting with all that paint on the socket?

You mean #6. Don't you ?

raider1

Staff member
So, if there is no additional building or structure being built I don't have to provide even a connection at all?? Am I reading that right?

That is how I read the exception. If you have an existing installation where the intersystem bonding is already provided then an additional intersystem bonding means is not required.

Chris

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
One of the issues here has been stated already. If you have a 100 amp service the NEC only requires a #8 to the GEC, however 250.94 requires a #6 as does the erico fitting that is shown. The erico unit accepts #6 to #2 so a #8 would not be acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.