Cable guy left this at my house. What's it for? Just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappy

The name on it is a "Regal RILA-16 Attenuator". I can't figure out why you would need this? I don't do much low voltage wiring. Thank you.

480sparky

May I ask, why you would need to do that? I'm ignorant.

Every turn up a stereo beyond what the wattage the speakers are rated for? If so, what happens?.... it sounds like crap, right?

Same principal applies to RF signals. Too much signal causes distortion. Attenuators, well, attenuate the signal.

Definition of attenuate:
Electronics To reduce (the amplitude of an electrical signal) with little or no distortion.

zappy

Every turn up a stereo beyond what the wattage the speakers are rated for? If so, what happens?.... it sounds like crap, right?

Same principal applies to RF signals. Too much signal causes distortion. Attenuators, well, attenuate the signal.

Definition of attenuate:
Electronics To reduce (the amplitude of an electrical signal) with little or no distortion.

Thanks for the explaination.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
They also make slope attenuators, which reduce signal strength by an amount that is dependent upon frequency; the lower the frequency, the greater the attenuation.

This is to compensate for the natural tendency of cable to attenuate the highest frequencies the most on long cable runs, so the signal strength at the end is more even.

egnlsn

Occupation
A/V/Security Technician
They also make slope attenuators, which reduce signal strength by an amount that is dependent upon frequency; the lower the frequency, the greater the attenuation.

This is to compensate for the natural tendency of cable to attenuate the highest frequencies the most on long cable runs, so the signal strength at the end is more even.
Those are called equalizers.

hurk27

one of the biggest reasons was to prevent over loading the front end of the TV which can cause channel ghosting across adjacent channels, this happens when they turn up the signal gain for a TV in a long run of cable, and over drive a short run to a close TV. With digital I don't think this will be as much a problem, but can cause allot of pixtaling if signal is too high

Status
Not open for further replies.