phase converter secondary conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishin' electrician

I have to price out wiring a 3? HennyPenny fryer on a single phase 240V system using a 15KW Temco phase converter.

The Temco documentation recommends using #3AWG on a 100A breaker for the 1? input, and #6AWG on the 3? output.

Do I need to add overcurrent protection to the output to protect the #6? Unless I've overlooked something, Article 455 really only talks about the input side of phase converters. Would these #6's be considered transformer secondary conductors? Thanks for any help.

Rick Christopherson

Because this is only a resistive load, you really do not gain anything with 3-phase power. If you can, I would recommend seeing if you can reconfigure the heating elements to operate at single phase. Each element will be connected phase-to-phase, so you just need to separate them and wire them all in parallel to a single phase source.

fishin' electrician

Thanks Rick, I will look into that, it appears as though these fryers can be setup for single phase, but this one is fairly old and may not be cut and dry.

Still would like to know about the phase converter output conductors and if they require protection, so if anyone knows........

Status
Not open for further replies.