Metallic Box In A 3-Hour Wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

Fire putty pads.

mediawebserver

raider1

Staff member
I don't see where the putty pads give a steel box a 3 hour rating. The installation instructions from 3M only show the putty pads on a steel box for a 1 or 2 hour rated wall.

You would have to have a listed membrane penetration assembly that is listed for 3 hours to work in this wall.

Chris

raider1

Staff member
If the op already has a 2 hour rating on the walls wouldn't the putty add the extra hour needed?

Not unless there is a tested assembly using the putty pad to acheive a 3 hour rating.

The problem is that with fire rating you can't just take 2- 1 hour rated pieces of equipment and add them together and get a 2 hour rating. Each rating must be done with a tested assembly.

A standard 4 square metal box without a putty pad is premitted to be used in up to a 2 hour rated assembly provided that they meet the requirements of Exception #1 to 712.3.2 of the IBC.

Chris

eprice

Unless you can find a tested assembly listed for use in a 3-hour wall (and I'm not aware of one), the solution would be surface mount. If the owner doesn't want to see surface mounted boxes, the wall could be furred out so that the box is flush mounted, but the real 3-hour wall membrane is behind it.

Flex

Not unless there is a tested assembly using the putty pad to acheive a 3 hour rating.

The problem is that with fire rating you can't just take 2- 1 hour rated pieces of equipment and add them together and get a 2 hour rating. Each rating must be done with a tested assembly.

A standard 4 square metal box without a putty pad is premitted to be used in up to a 2 hour rated assembly provided that they meet the requirements of Exception #1 to 712.3.2 of the IBC.

Chris
2 pieces of sheetrock double the fire rating

raider1

Staff member
2 pieces of sheetrock double the fire rating

Not necessarily, for example Table 721.2.1.4(2) assigns a time rating of 40 minutes to a single layer of 5/8 Type X gypsum board, but most people would say a wall built with a single layer of 5/8" Type X would be 1 hour. That is because there are many tested fire rated assemblies that use a single layer of 5/8" type X in conjunction with the material of the wall and during test the entire wall had a performance of a 1 hour wall.

What you have to understand is that a fire resistance rated wall needs to be built using a tested assembly. For example the Gypsum Association produces a fire resistance design manual that has many different types of walls that can be built and have different ratings.

Chris

raider1

Staff member
I see, and I am assuming the Fire Putty Pad company doesnt goto that extent. That why its only good for an hour?

3M has tested their putty pads for up to a 2 hour rated wall. My guess is that the putty pads failed on a 3 hour test or 3M never had the pads tested for a 3 hour wall.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.