insight disconnect for MV transformer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

al in wi

Is an inisight disconnect needed for an MV transformer customer owned substation?

here is the flow:
(utility owned) 35kV Cable, comes into a (customer owned) pad gear. This will be something like an S/C Vista...the vista is a 3 way, 1 switch source-2 fused tap. the first tap goes to a 2500kVA transforemer next to the vista. the second tap goes to the 2nd transformer, located on the oposite side of the buildings. the 2nd transformer is no where "in sight".

would i need a 2way=1source-1tap gear next to the 2nd transformer?

my thinking
i dont think so, there is nothing in NEC that requires.
but am i missing a medium votlage exclusion, and i need a switch?

Is an inisight disconnect needed for an MV transformer customer owned substation?

here is the flow:
(utility owned) 35kV Cable, comes into a (customer owned) pad gear. This will be something like an S/C Vista...the vista is a 3 way, 1 switch source-2 fused tap. the first tap goes to a 2500kVA transforemer next to the vista. the second tap goes to the 2nd transformer, located on the oposite side of the buildings. the 2nd transformer is no where "in sight".

would i need a 2way=1source-1tap gear next to the 2nd transformer?

my thinking
i dont think so, there is nothing in NEC that requires.
but am i missing a medium votlage exclusion, and i need a switch?

You are thinking right....:wink:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
A transformer never needs a "disconnect," in sight or otherwise, in the sense that a motor (along with certain other items) needs a local disconnecting means. The primary windings, the secondary windings, the feeder to the primary, and the feeder leaving the secondary all need overcurrent protection. But the protective devices need not be in sight of the transformer.

Status
Not open for further replies.