Fire Alarm Control panel devices which may be connected or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

hconant

At a recent meeting with fire alarm control panel (FACP) vendors, it was stated by one FACP vendor that other than life safety devices (ie: environmental) can be connected to the FACP. I am not referring to fire suppression pump room temerperature monitors, or the like, but simple intrusion, or air conditioner fail type device monitors. I've never actually researched it, but I have never heard of connecting anything other than smokes, heats, pulls, sprinkler flows, etceteras, to a FACP. I would be interested if anyone could point me to the appropriate section(s) of NFPA, presumeably 72, that this may be spelled out.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have nothing to back this up so don't take my word for it, but I would imagine that if the local authorities allowed it you could have the FA system monitor "other than" FA devices as long as the actual FA functions took priority over any other functions. On the other hand, the problem that I see with monitoring "other" devices is that if any of these 'other" devices or systems connected to the FA system were to malfunction would it then cause the FA system to malfunction or make false reports ? I think that would probably be your biggest hurdle.

nhfire77

Actually you can connect these other devices to FACP's Notifier actually had burg zone types in their AFP-200, 300, 400 series.

However they cannot take president over fire zones, and I believe official wording is that the non-fire zones cannot "interfere" with the FACP operation, or something like that. Ademco, DSC, Napco all have combo commercial NFPA 72 fire and burg panels. They are require more than just the main security board, you need a dual phone line dialer (or equivalent) NAC Power Supplies. I cannot think of a code reference that prohibits it.

75% of AHJ;s do not allow these systems in my area, and they do not allow non-fire devices on FACP's.

Of course, I would not personally use these accept in small offices, that is a low hazard occupancy with less than say 5-6 fire devices.

Last edited:

cadpoint

The new F/A system should be able to control and talk to alot more systems, I've seen it.
It could and should detemine what type of system they need to install to get the most from the design of the service based on the building issues.

With the new ziel for green, newer low voltage system can readily interface with a F/A system. Yes it does come into play fast but it's all in respects to the size of the air handlers, and it can come down to class of a structure requirements. Whats the use of the structure and could even get into requirements of insurance based on the structures use, but as always the bottom line will be what does the customer want to pay for.

On a job I was on, the F/A people installed various monitors in every compartment of a 5-6 piece of A/C supply/return system. Two air handlers as big as small trailors 40' long. They could monitor and disconnect, they could even disconnect my disconnect through the use of internal over-rides. The F/A talked to the VFD's that controlled the air handlers and could over-ride them as well. The air handlers were moniotored on both the supply and return ends of the unit, ie truck sniffer (the correct term escapes me)

Their second system that also talked to and controlled various aspects of the VAV's and depending on the nature of the problem, could also reported to the F/A.

This was a very high dollor system due to the the building design, and the client buildings are built to last, and has the money to spend. The VAV's would respond to demand for air and not be left set to some "opening size".
It would report when a VAV was going bad and the trouble was reported for service.

I completed my work and enjoyed the job, but I always gave the LV guys a hard time cause I knew who was in control... :rolleyes:

hconant

Thanks for that info. I am somewhat surprised, but then thinking about the Ademco/Honeywell 24VAC combo Vista panels made me rethink it. I was thinking exclusively of more specific FACP like FCI, Mercom, etc, and wasn't thinking of these smaller commercial combo panels. Thanks for the feedback.

nhfire77

Thanks for that info. I am somewhat surprised, but then thinking about the Ademco/Honeywell 24VAC combo Vista panels made me rethink it. I was thinking exclusively of more specific FACP like FCI, Mercom, etc, and wasn't thinking of these smaller commercial combo panels. Thanks for the feedback.

I tie access control systems into full dedicated FACP's as well, I will use a Addressable relay to shut off delayed egress locks.

I also have methane sensors tied to a FACP. The building was built on a landfill and the AHJ required it. Its set for as alarm verification zone.

The previous example of HVAC tied in is obvious.

I cannot remember all the other systems and devices I have had to tie into a FACP output relay.

I had a client that had a horn tone tripped through a voice evac system when the burglar alarm went off, it was a burglar alarm tone, and would only activate when the building wasn't occupied, the AHJ was ok with it once he saw it tested, you wouldn't know what was causing the sound since the strobes were not going off. Silly, yes, but that's what he wanted, and it was effective, it was annoying!

Again all these are installed as long as they do not interfere with an actual alarm or trouble and tested to ensure if those ancillary systems could not cause a trouble of their own that would effect the FACP.

brennan

I am on a job where we are connecting a Mass Notification system to the fire alarm systems. We also have the ability to monitor the facp by the access control system. We can control clocks with the facp. And Damper smoke evac systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.