conductors inside aluminum tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohmhead

Well heres a question we have a project were the pipe work must be limited to view meaning not exposed .

Can we run conductors in a aluminum walkway covered canopy support structure without a raceway .

Example would be to stubb into structure or tube framing with a LB and pull wiring inside this canopy structure meaning covered walkway .

Were haven a debate some say no its in the code ? :confused:

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
What voltage? Line voltage my guess would be no, not a Chapter 3 wiring method.

300.3 Conductors.
(A) Single Conductors. Single conductors specified in Table 310.13(A) shall only be installed where part of a recognized wiring method of Chapter 3.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree with Chris although I saw a similar installation not too long ago and I raised the same question. The powers that be disagreed with my argument that the tube needed to be a listed raceway.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Well heres a question we have a project were the pipe work must be limited to view meaning not exposed .

Can we run conductors in a aluminum walkway covered canopy support structure without a raceway .

Example would be to stubb into structure or tube framing with a LB and pull wiring inside this canopy structure meaning covered walkway .

Were haven a debate some say no its in the code ? :confused:

Well, we would kinda point them to 110.8 and then we would kinda ask them if this proposed method is recognized anywhere in the NEC? ;)

If they can point it out they would have an argument.

Otherwise you could ask for special permission per 90.4

Roger

nakulak

of course, if the walkway tube is just for physical protection, that does not preclude an applicable method (mc ?, hdpe if its outside ?, just throwing out possibilities, might not apply)

Cavie

I have been permtted in the past and I also have permitted UF cable be run in these areas. Check with your local AHJ. Alm patio roof panels are a good example. It is styrofome sandwidhed between alm sheets to form roof sections. Square tubing is placed in prearranged locations for fans and lights in the ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.