NM cable through front of box

Status
Not open for further replies.

switchleg45

Is your name on the permit?

Yup.

Bob, I was told, by more than one inspector, that when demo'ng condo units in multi-stories that when you come accross violations such as this, they (AHJ) can do "nothing" about it...to just do "your scope of work".

So..it seems to me that they are more concerned about something other than "safety"...imo

Cavie

Yup.

Bob, I was told, by more than one inspector, that when demo'ng condo units in multi-stories that when you come accross violations such as this, they (AHJ) can do "nothing" about it...to just do "your scope of work".

So..it seems to me that they are more concerned about something other than "safety"...imo

If I'm inspecting your fixin'. I don't care who did it.

mcclary's electrical

"the scope of work" on your permit is there to protect YOU. I installed 12 lay-in fixtures at a gas station in Richmond. The inspector came in, No it was not Paul Abernathy but anyway,,,,,he walked in and started spottiing violations EVERYWHERE,,,,,he starts asking me,,,what are you gonna do about this,,,,,and what are you gonna do about that,,,,,,I politely told him I wasn't gonna do ANYTHING about it. I said it's not on my permit. He said well when you come in and do wiring you can't just leave this stuff here. I explained to him that it was not on my permit and CANNOT hold up my inspection. He thought it could. Well,,make a long story short, once he talked to his superiors he gave me my inspection. We all spot violations everywhere we go. I don;t mind fixing all I see but if it's permitted work through a GC,,,,you're just working for the GC,,,not the owner. So technically, you can only do what's on the list and what's on the permit, more than that and it's between you and the owner

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
You only do the work you are paid to do.

If the inspector does not like it, he can pound sand. He does not get to decide the scope of your work.

OTOH, its not worth a lot of drama if it is something you can fix fairly easily.

iwire

Staff member
If I'm inspecting your fixin'. I don't care who did it.

God that kind of statement make my skin crawl. :mad:

I am only responsible for the work I am paid to do.

If there are items to be fixed thats between the inspector and the property owner. :smile:

I thought we ironed this all out before. :smile:

iwire

Staff member
OTOH, its not worth a lot of drama if it is something you can fix fairly easily.

I also agree with that, I am not unwilling to take care of a few issues by choice but I sure don't want the inspector trying to force me to do things beyond the scope my boss bid on.

Howard Burger

SL, I was sent to a job a couple of years ago to do some small stuff on a remodel. This place was originally wired by 'friends' of the owner. I found new violations every time I went there, from reverse polarity on switch legs to a circuit fed by a piece of NM stuffed into a receptacle in a downstairs closet (I wish I could figure out how to put pictures on this site). Anyway, we covered ourselves by sending the owner a letter stating that while doing the work we were hired for, the following code violations were observed and recommending that they be fixed. We didn't cite NEC sections, just briefly described the problems. I was sure glad when the owner finally got tired of hiring us to go fix things! I'm sure the letters are in the company file for if the issue of liablility comes up. You might suggest this to your boss, and make notes if you keep a daily log of your own.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
SL, I was sure glad when the owner finally got tired of hiring us to go fix things! I'm sure the letters are in the company file for if the issue of liablility comes up. You might suggest this to your boss, and make notes if you keep a daily log of your own.

These days it's a great thing to do. getting rid of customers. NOT.
Keep the log and take pictures. Protect yourself don't turn that paying customer away.

Status
Not open for further replies.