Ground up or down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I got a kick out of this. The IT guy has requested 4 of these installs. Note the ground bar is not a 800.100 install, just an equipment bonding jumper.

Maverickphoneboards002.jpg

mivey

What? No Left/Right option?

I guess it solves the age-old cord strain problem, unless you have too many of one type.

mivey

This post will self destruct...........10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2............
It might, but we haven't even heard the mission...and decided if we should accept it.:grin:

I have flipped many receptacles for and A/C unit or fridge, etc to eliminate a bent-over cord, collisions, etc. and I'm guessing the equipment the IT guy is planning to install has cords with ground up and ground down plugs.

I guess this solution works but it does look funny by itself. For a specific app: great. I would never do this in a home or business just to cover the bases because it would look tacky, IMO. I would rather flip on an as-needed basis or just not worry about it.

Has there been a thread about bent-over cords and the life thereof?

480sparky

I've got a nickel that says there's two wall warts that are grounded, and cannot go side-by-side if the grounds on both duplexes are the same.

mivey

Forget the receptacle install positions, and there is room for further discussion!
Like a solution for multiple fat wall warts. We have usually recommended power strips. I guess you could also install some wiremold (ugh!).

I have seen some custom cabinets and wall sections with multiple boxes that give space between outlets.

480sparky

If you assume the need for two duplexes was just because of the wall-warts...

Cheaper than 2 single receps, I'll bet.

Many wall warts end up covering both receps of a duplex, and are so thick they cannot go side-by-side unless the duplexes are installed like Chris did them.

mivey

Cheaper than 2 single receps, I'll bet.

Many wall warts end up covering both receps of a duplex, and are so thick they cannot go side-by-side unless the duplexes are installed like Chris did them.
That's true. I was just thinking of one receptacle and a power strip. A power strip and/or surge combo usually winds up getting plugged in at a lot of places.

nhfire77

Could be for two plug in transformers. Such as a burg system that uses 16.5 VAC 40 VA xfmr. The plate screw is what holds them in and they wont fit side to side.

I've seen worse for grounding, its stupid looking, but it works if nothing else exists and no one is paying for an actual technical ground..... I guess.:-?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Forget about the receptacles, what about the ground bar? :confused:

Is there a #6 EGC within the EMT? If not why a #6 to the ground bar?

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Forget about the receptacles, what about the ground bar? :confused:

Is there a #6 EGC within the EMT? If not why a #6 to the ground bar?

There is a #12 EGC in the EMT terminated under a ground screw. The #6 is terminated to a lug bolted with ?/20 hardware through the 1900 box. Why, because thats what the IT guy asked for.

Status
Not open for further replies.