Tamper Resistant Outlets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just sent one of my techs to what will likely be the third instance of a bad tamper resistant outlet and I am wondering if I am the only one.

Some of the devices function fine, and other than the dramatic price difference I can see the perceived benefit of them. However, the small number of jobs that we have installed them on have created quite a few headaches for me. Male ends don't insert easily, sometimes with quite a bit of wiggle and jiggle you can get them inserted; other times it is a futile effort.

I am also surprised at the differences in devices from different manufacturers. One device only locks out the hot, another locks out both hot and neutral and will only release both when both are engaged. I was pretty surprised when the mandate came for these devices without them ever having been installed or produced before, but that is the way of the future apparently. So am I the only one that has had issues with TR GFI/outlets so far?

Bobhook149

I have had the same problem, It kind of sucks because it reflects on you to the customer. I have yet to find the brand that has ones that work real well

GUNNING

questions in search of answers

questions in search of answers

Are there different grades of the tamper resistant receptacles? Maybe the bulk vs individually packaged are better? I haven't seen any 20 amp TR receptacles yet. Are there any out there? Are the TR GFCI receptacles also giving you problems? The reason I ask is I'm about to restock my truck with only TR receptacles and want to do it once.

MarkyMarkNC

Another vote here for Pass & Seymour as the best TR. I've had customers that wouldn't have even noticed they were TR unless I told them.

iwire

Staff member
I was pretty surprised when the mandate came for these devices without them ever having been installed or produced before,

For what it's worth they have been making them for many years already. They have been required in pediatric care areas of health care facilities for many code cycles.

That said, be glad they have made less expensive ones for dwelling units, the 20 amp hospital grade tamper resistant duplex receptacles are around $20 each.

electricalperson

i noticed leviton TR receptcles re a little hard to work. but i never had one that failed. im going to buy a box of the p&s brand and try those. the home select by hubble seems to work ok too.

480sparky

For what it's worth they have been making them for many years already. They have been required in pediatric care areas of health care facilities for many code cycles.

That said, be glad they have made less expensive ones for dwelling units, the 20 amp hospital grade tamper resistant duplex receptacles are around $20 each.

I've been installing them as long as I've been a hack.....er... electrician. Many a time I've put them in kids' bedrooms, day care centers, doctors offices..... mostly where little chitlins can start poking around.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Where were the plugs made that are causing trouble with the TR recps? I have noticed trouble with imported plugs where it appears the blades are larger than receptacle has been designed for. In one case the blades were much thicker than normal and there was no way to get it into the TR recp and it was even difficult to get it in a standard one.

tedge

I've found that Leviton TR's are hard to use, and I don't put them in anymore. Cooper seem to work fine.

One thing I've noticed is that there are quite a few plugs with one blade slightly longer (like 32nds of an inch) than the other, and they won't work well that way.

I've begun giving homeowners a tutorial on what they are and how they work. I was getting a bunch of calls about not being able to plug things in before I started doing that. None since.

GUNNING

I won!!!

I won!!!

I think if you are tutoring people on how to plug up a vacum, having arc fault tamper resistant receptacles will be a Darwin Award opportunity.

Make sure you get your money up front.

tedge

Seems pretty basic, I know, but I was tired of getting calls the day after installing a TR recept. saying "I can't plug anything into these outlets you just put in." Truth is, they try once and it doesn't go in as easily, and they throw up their hands and say they all don't work.

So by telling them up front what to expect, the calls have stopped.

480sparky

Seems pretty basic, I know, but I was tired of getting calls the day after installing a TR recept. saying "I can't plug anything into these outlets you just put in." Truth is, they try once and it doesn't go in as easily, and they throw up their hands and say they all don't work.

So by telling them up front what to expect, the calls have stopped.

You'd be surprised how many also don't know how to reset a GFI or a breaker.

Customer: "I keep turning the breaker on, but it won't stay on."
Me; "Did you turn it off first?"
Customer: "Uh, no.... I just tried turning it back on."
Me: "Turn it off first, then turn it back on."
(Clicking sound in background)
Customer: "Hey, that works! We have power again!"
Me: "That's why I make the big bucks!"

Status
Not open for further replies.