Article 645

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike01

We have an inspector who walke thru a project for a commerical office space open office floor plan, where there was an IT room with some racks and a server or two small rack mounted ups, a small air handler was provided as the buildings existing system did not have adequiate capacity to cool the space plus they shut it down on weekends etc. The electrical system was installed per code (first 4 chapters) there is no raised floor and the room altho the walls go to deck is not a "rated room" the inspector is indicating we need an e-stop to comply with article 645 of the NEC however the purpose of article 645 is to take advantage of less stringent installation methods provided the room is built to certian specifications / requirements? am i interpeting this correctly, that because there is IT eqipment in the room does not mandated compliance with 645 this is just an "option" to utilize less stringent methods of installation if certian requiremnts are met?

raider1

Staff member
You are correct. IT rooms don't have to comply with Article 645 unless you want to take advantage of some of the less restrictive wiring methods allowed in that article. The inspector is wrong in requiring the E-stop.

Chris

eprice

I agree with the other replies

Edit to Add: 645.4 describes when Article 645 applies. If you don't meet all of the conditions there, then Article 645 simply does not apply. I believe condition 1) there is the disconnect to which the inspector referred? Since you don't have it, 645 does not apply.

Last edited:

inspector141

Mike, you are correct. You have chosen to wire the room based on chapters 1-4. Now if you are taking advantage of some of the wiring methods that fall under 645, then you must comply with 645.10.

Status
Not open for further replies.