Swimming pool equipment power at a duplex

Status
Not open for further replies.

hornetd

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician, Retired
A good friend of mine, who is a housing inspector; don't groan he always checks electrical questions with an electrician; recently inspected a new duplex; i.e. two dwelling units in one building. The duplex has a swimming pool for the use of both sets of occupants. In order to split the pool operating cost equitably the owner has brought one side of the 240 volt feeder from each service. I know this is wrong but I'm having trouble matching chapter and verse to this particular transgression. If anyone would be willing to help me out it would be appreciated.

Mule

A good friend of mine, who is a housing inspector; don't groan he always checks electrical questions with an electrician; recently inspected a new duplex; i.e. two dwelling units in one building. The duplex has a swimming pool for the use of both sets of occupants. In order to split the pool operating cost equitably the owner has brought one side of the 240 volt feeder from each service. I know this is wrong but I'm having trouble matching chapter and verse to this particular transgression. If anyone would be willing to help me out it would be appreciated.

The first issue when you turn a breaker off, you will have power backfeeding from the other phase, back through the load, which ain't good....not to mention improper breaker ties.......is there a common bonding point? or two services on the duples....? This is un-safe....put your foot down....hard:D

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
How about 300.3(B) for starters

300.3(B) Conductors of the Same Circuit. All conductors of the same circuit and, where used, the grounded conductor and all equipment grounding conductors and bonding conductors shall be contained within the same raceway, auxiliary gutter, cable tray, cablebus assembly, trench, cable, or cord, unless otherwise permitted in accordance with 300.3(B)(1) through (B)(4).

hornetd

Occupation
Meter reading fees

Meter reading fees

210.25 "2002"
I think this pool could or has become a common area load which would now need a House panel installed.

Yes but since the St Thomas, VI power utility charges for each meter that they read it would impose a $240 a year surcharge on the pool power. I suppose the best remedy is to use a sub meter for the pools power off of the owners meter.
--
Tom Horne

hornetd

Occupation
In the interest of fairness, can one tenant supply water and the other electric?

Thanks for the posts, that is a doosie!:grin:
Water in the US Virgin Islands is kind of strange. They obtain most of the water from quite regular rains using roof top collection system. Wells are quite unusual there. Public utility water is from desalination plants and is quite pricey. I believe that this new duplex will have little trouble with water collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.