wire chart for fill

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMuse97

I think Dan was looking for a way around annex c.; anyway, good link, Dan, even if you can only use it with a computer. They've got a ton of different calculators there, and with mathematical descriptions of how each arrives at its conclusions. pretty cool. And no, haven't seen any other calculators.

Last edited:

danickstr

lemme tellya why Annex C sucks. I wanted something that is not on 25 different pages with all the weirdo types of wire jumbled together and it only works for the same gauge of wire.

I was hoping for something that would have breakdowns for all kinds of different gauges, but mainly focused on 1/2 to 1 1/2" conduits. That would be neat.

Sort of like the wire nut schedule on the side fo the box. Allt he various permutations of wire gauges are there, like 2 # 14 and 2 # 12 I know I can use a tan.

danickstr

IF you have the ubiquitous iphone or itouch, then this app is for you...conduit fill calculator. It is only 3 bucks and does all calcs for 14 conduit types up to 2000mcm. It catches snag pulls and automatically figures 31% for 2 cond, 53% for one conductor, etc.

tryinghard

lemme tellya why Annex C sucks. I wanted something that is not on 25 different pages with all the weirdo types of wire jumbled together and it only works for the same gauge of wire.

I was hoping for something that would have breakdowns for all kinds of different gauges, but mainly focused on 1/2 to 1 1/2" conduits. That would be neat...

Looks like you already know about Chapter 9's Table 1 percentages. Use Table 5's inch square column (far right) and the appropriate conduit and column in Table 4. I use this info in a spreadsheet with some functions, saves from looking up again and again.

tryinghard

IF you have the ubiquitous iphone or itouch, then this app is for you...conduit fill calculator. It is only 3 bucks and does all calcs for 14 conduit types up to 2000mcm. It catches snag pulls and automatically figures 31% for 2 cond, 53% for one conductor, etc.

Qty----Wire Size----Ch 9 Table 5---Total Area Sq In
3---------12----------0.0133--------0.040
4---------10----------0.0211--------0.084
3---------8-----------0.0366--------0.110

10-----------------------------------0.234

Conduit Ch 9 Table 4
EMT-----100% in sq----40%
1.00-------0.864------0.346

Avail Area------------0.112

That'll be $2.99 :)

480sparky

Would an Electricalc work?

5065L.jpg

Conduit Sizing for 12 Types of Conduit!
Per NEC Tables 1, 3, 4, and 5 of Chapter 9, allows sizing of all common conduits for any combination of #THW, #XHHW and #THHN Wires. Plus, gives fill percentages, cross-sectional areas, remaining areas and more.

Last edited:

tryinghard

Electricalc great choice, and I understand their base is the NEC. I believe Ugly's is a more simplified reference and I have found inconsistencies between it and NEC.

360Youth

I have one of these. It has pretty much spoiled me for having to look up conduit sizes for generator runs, and such.

5065L.jpg

Oops, I guess I should not have jumped ahead with my post. :roll: Glad to see I am not the only one using one.:)

I got a hold of some software from somewhere called wireguide, and was based on the 2005 code book. You could enter all the different wire types in and it would spit out the conduit size. However it expired and I never reordered it, and deleted off my computer. Was a neat program though

Status
Not open for further replies.