Sign Disconnect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article 600 Section 600.6 specify the need for a disconnect for a sign. The question is- If a sign builder installs a switch on the exterior of a sign (say a weather proof box and switch) does this meet the requirements of the code?
Bear in mind the neither the NEC or UL Standard require a disconnect on a sign.

Last edited:

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Article 600 Section 600.6 specify the need for a disconnect for a sign. The question is- If a sign builder installs a switch on the exterior of a sign (say a weather proof box and switch) does this meet the requirements of the code?
Yes it does
Bear in mind the neither the NEC or UL Standard require a disconnect on a sign.
Not necessarily ON the sign just an externally operable switch FOR the sign so that it can be serviced safely without the possibility of a shock hazard.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
You are installing a switch for the sign the same reason you install a switch for motors. If the transformer has a switch on it, then it meets the requirements, or a switch on the side of a monument sign to break the circuit.

Sign Disconnect

Sign Disconnect

I seem to have left out the most important part of the question. The contractor entered the sign enclosure through the back and travelled through the sign with the branch circuit and exited the sign to terminate the branch circuit on the line side of a weather proof switch mounted on the sign. The load side of the switch has conductors that re-enter the sign and connect to the transformer inside the enclosure. I feel that the switch does not qualify as the required disconnect because it does not disconnect all of the un-grounded conductors in the sign. 600.6 NEC

Hendrix

I seem to have left out the most important part of the question. The contractor entered the sign enclosure through the back and travelled through the sign with the branch circuit and exited the sign to terminate the branch circuit on the line side of a weather proof switch mounted on the sign. The load side of the switch has conductors that re-enter the sign and connect to the transformer inside the enclosure. I feel that the switch does not qualify as the required disconnect because it does not disconnect all of the un-grounded conductors in the sign. 600.6 NEC

Is he using the sign as a raceway ?

hillbilly

It's about the same as mounting a breaker inside a A/C unit and using it for the disconnect.:)
A-O-K.

Just my opinion
steve

KevinVost

This is a standard set up on almost every small sign we see. The disconnect switch is there for the sign service guy. Once he turns off the switch, he is able to service any part of the sign that may need repair. The branch circuit wiring should not be getting modified at this point. I don't see any code issue with this type of install.

Status
Not open for further replies.