Phase Failure Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

girl

Please could someone try to help me?

Question: how could I find out what time fuses blow out?
Description: 3 Phase Elevator system
600 Volt
80 Amp time delay fuses

About at least 2x/week one or two fuses blow out.
I would like to know what time did it happen: evening?, midnight?,
early morning? or?

Is there some Line Time Monitor when did it happen?
Where to buy it in Ontario, Canada or U.S.A.?
Something simpler to hook it up.

Thank you all

charlietuna

Hire a contractor who has the ability to monitor these circuits and have him install data recording meters. Then wait til you have a fuse failure. Have the data logger information downloaded and you'll have a complete record of not only time of the power failure but possibly why it's happening.

brian john

What about some simple trouble shooting first.

What is the motor FLA?

Have you performed a FOP across the fuse and FSS?

Does this happen at time of transfer during a generator test.

Fluke 1735, 435, Hyoki, Drantez and a variety of others or better yet hire a contractor that specializes in resolving these issues.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Hire someone if time is limited. Otherwise...jump in with both feet.

I would think that asking the tenants on the upper floor would result in an answer as to when.

New installation or old? Many times just looking closely at all the connections will result in an answer as to why.

Besoeker

Please could someone try to help me?

Question: how could I find out what time fuses blow out?
Description: 3 Phase Elevator system
600 Volt
80 Amp time delay fuses

About at least 2x/week one or two fuses blow out.
I would like to know what time did it happen: evening?, midnight?,
early morning? or?

Is there some Line Time Monitor when did it happen?
Where to buy it in Ontario, Canada or U.S.A.?
Something simpler to hook it up.

Thank you all
If all you want to know what time of day it's happening, wouldn't a simple phase failure realy and hours run counter on the downstream side of the fuses do the job?

Note the reading, the time of day and date when the fuses are replaced. Note the reading again the next time you have to replace fuses then you have the hours elapsed between replacing fuses and their subsequent failure and thus time of day when they failed.

Total cost for UL, CSA, CE & VDE approved parts is about $60 at today's exchange rate.

Besoeker

Phase failure relay - it was too late when I spotted the error...:(
Here's one we have used.

PhaseFailure01.jpg

girl

please guys don't give up on me yet, i am trying to decide which way to.
to hire contractor might cost me to much because i don't know when will it happen.

i just get call in the morning that elevator is down. i don't know what time during night time it happens because nobody is there, sort of.
i never get a call during the day when it's the bussiest time, it's very interesting. could it be some sabotage?

zog

to hire contractor might cost me to much because i don't know when will it happen.

A contractor will come in a set up the equipment and leave, everything is recorded and logged. Not expensive to do.

gar

Occupation
EE
090812-1139 EST

I like Speedskater's suggestion.

This means a clock with hands and internally a small synchronous motor. Three clocks are required and possibly three transformers depending upon voltage. Setting the clocks to the correct local time when they are connected will automatically readout the time of failure.

Since these are electro-mechanical there is no loss of information on loss of power.

gar

Occupation
EE
090812-1428 EST

Do a Google search. Ace Hardware may have some that are AC powered. A battery powered clock with a relay to connect the battery would work as well.

76nemo

i just get call in the morning that elevator is down. i don't know what time during night time it happens because nobody is there, sort of.
i never get a call during the day when it's the bussiest time, it's very interesting. could it be some sabotage?

You don't have any logging equipment? Your question brings up many others considering it happens when hardly no one is there.

iwire

Staff member
090812-1139 EST

I like Speedskater's suggestion.

This means a clock with hands and internally a small synchronous motor. Three clocks are required and possibly three transformers depending upon voltage. Setting the clocks to the correct local time when they are connected will automatically readout the time of failure.

Since these are electro-mechanical there is no loss of information on loss of power.

No offense but if I hired someone to troubleshoot an electrical problem and they showed up with some home made system of clocks I would send them packing.

I understand it could work but in my opinion would look very unprofessional.

Rent a recording meter or have a contractor that has one set it up.

We have a nice Dranetz and I will be installing a couple of Fluke recording meters in the next few days.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Fluke has a data logger that plugs into a stardard receptacle and it logs power, then you download to a computer, its around $250.
Or some fluke meters have a optical coupling, it can connect to a laptop which you leave in place, and set the logging for time, and off you go and get a ton of data.

We had issues with power quality in a parking garage and hired a person to log, it was 5K or so. We finally purchased a top of the line fluke power quality analizer, its very useful, almost tells too much data.

Status
Not open for further replies.