Approve a sign that don't work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smallfish

Is an electrical inspector allowed to approve a sign installation if all the installation NEC code rules are satisfied and the sign does not light up? Is there a code rule that requires the sign to work?
Thanks

hurk27

I wouldn't think so, since many final inspections are done before any electric has been allowed to be turned on.

This is slowly going away as more and more areas are allowing the service to be energized after a service inspection and released to the POCO, instead of using temp power poles, here this is true.

This allows an inspector to test GFCI's and such, but I can remember the days of no power inspections and it was up to us to come back to make sure everything worked.

celtic

Is an electrical inspector allowed to approve a sign installation if all the installation NEC code rules are satisfied and the sign does not light up? Is there a code rule that requires the sign to work?
Thanks

If all the NEC rules are satisfactory, what Article could an EI use to fail the job?

AFAIK, nothing in the NEC says any of the stuff we install actually has to work.

cadpoint

If all the NEC rules are satisfactory, what Article could an EI use to fail the job?

AFAIK, nothing in the NEC says any of the stuff we install actually has to work.

I had to really think about your statement Celtic, to the beginning's of 2008'

While it's been said here before the 90's aren't part of the code!

I'll defer that my personal view is, and just like what my city and state have done, is to adopt the 90's and
I'll go with 90.1(A). I didn't read the disclaimer tonight!

It's just funny that the NFPA 70 NEC 2008 Edition is at the top of this page.

I do like the thought of a final inspection, as stated... it's final and operational to the task. I frankly won't know why I was there otherwise...

iwire

Staff member
I think this is an interesting question but as the NEC is written I fully agree with Celtic. :)

nakulak

110.3 A 1

how, in God's name, can a device or fixture be suitable for its intended use if it does not function ?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
It's an everyday occurrence here. When we hook up Chillers, RTU's, Unit Heaters, Conveyors, Medical Equipment, or most anything that must be started up by a manufacturers technician after a C of O has been issued, the inspector only inspects our wiring, he / she doesn't care if the equipment works or not.

The sign company, maintenance personnel, or someone will have to check the lamps, ballast, or what have you to make it work.

Roger

bphgravity

I personally don't feel it is within the scope of NEC to require "proper" operation of CERTAIN electrical equipment. Since the NEC is primarily a prescriptive code, peformance based requirements would more likely be outlined in the building code and/or local ordinances.

Obviously, things such as AFCI's, GFCI's, Smoke Alarms, Emergency Lights, and other "life safety" devices need to be operational to ensure of their proper operation. And it would be rather difficult to determine actual foot-candles and other performance-based requirements without proper operation; especially those outlined in the Energy Codes.

As for a sign, I could care less if it actually lights-up.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
laughabove.gif

Roger

Mr. Bill

I think the question becomes why doesn't the sign work? Is something miswired, ungrounded, damaged, or not finished somewhere else that is causing the sign not to work. I think by the sign not working it means that either the sign is broken or some work not visible is not done per the NEC. If the sign is new from the factory I think you can assume the sign is more likely to be working properly then the installation has been done correctly.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I think the question becomes why doesn't the sign work? Is something miswired, ungrounded, damaged, or not finished somewhere else that is causing the sign not to work. I think by the sign not working it means that either the sign is broken or some work not visible is not done per the NEC. If the sign is new from the factory I think you can assume the sign is more likely to be working properly then the installation has been done correctly.

Depends on the quality control (or lack of). I have had a 20% ballast failure rate on a large fixture package (around 900 lay in's) once, so a sign not working from a factory would not surprise me at all.

Roger

cowboyjwc

Staff member

I've used that same line many times myself. We need the power on so that we can show you that the AC's work. Show me in the code where it says they have to work.:)

360Youth

Most finals I do the power needs to be on so that inspector can verify that GFCI and AFCI circuits/outlets are duely protected. Not just a device/breaker labeled as such.

iwire

Staff member
Obviously, things such as AFCI's, GFCI's, Smoke Alarms, Emergency Lights, and other "life safety" devices need to be operational to ensure of their proper operation. And it would be rather difficult to determine actual foot-candles and other performance-based requirements without proper operation; especially those outlined in the Energy Codes.

I do not see anything in the NEC that actually requires any of that to work, to be tested or for that matter even inspected.

To me this issue is squarely in the hands of the local AHJ and their own inspection procedures.

celtic

I do not see anything in the NEC that actually requires any of that to work, to be tested or for that matter even inspected.

To me this issue is squarely in the hands of the local AHJ and their own inspection procedures.

Who could argue with that?

:D

WOW! That is just crazy! I sure hope there's not any electricians in our jurisdiction that read this forum! I could be in a LOT of trouble.

Ummm that GFCI doesn't work!........So!..........It wired up right!!!

Uh Oh!!!

pete m.

110.7 Wiring Integrity.
Completed wiring installations shall be free from short circuits, ground faults, or any connections to ground other than as required or permitted elsewhere in this Code.

How many inspectors, as a matter of course of duty, require an insulation integrity test when they conduct a "power off" final?

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.