Art. 517-30 Mechanical Protection of the Emergency System

Status
Not open for further replies.

brca

In referencing NEC 2005 Art. 517.30 (C) (3) "Mechanical Protection of the Emergency System", it was always common practice in a hospital to run EMT conduit (metal raceways) and flexible metal conduit whips for low voltage fire alarm wiring & low voltage nurse-call wiring. If I'm reading the NEC 2005 Handbook commentary correctly, "the secondary conductors of limited energy systems, such as nurse-call, telephone, and alarm circuits are exempt from being run in metal raceways provided they comply with articles elsewhere in the code. Am I reading correctly that you can run low voltage fire alarm wiring & low voltage nurse-call wiring in a hospital (above a drop ceiling or sheetrock ceiling) without the mechanical protection of metal raceways ?

sparkyboys

you can run fa wires without metal raceways in drop ceilings or sheetrock ceilings if spec codes allow it. i have done it on some fairly large jobs with the use of metal loops that are shot in to the ceiling for support

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Am I reading correctly that you can run low voltage fire alarm wiring & low voltage nurse-call wiring in a hospital (above a drop ceiling or sheetrock ceiling) without the mechanical protection of metal raceways ?

Yes, you are reading it correctly.

Roger

ed downey

Yes, you are reading it correctlty. But also it may be a prefference of the hospital. I have a couple locations that require red conduit for all fire alarm conductors.

I have another client that color codes all low voltage system EMT conduit per their color code.

-Ed

VUGear

In my experience, almost all hospital clients do not want FA in conduit, most do not even want Class A.
Most of my hospital clients prefer the fire alarm wiring in conduit for the mechanical protection, although a few have been willing to forego it to save money.

Status
Not open for further replies.