Status
Not open for further replies.

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
Customer lives on a rock at a lake.

He wants to run a sub panel feed ~150 to his boat house

He really does live on a rock.

He does not want an overhead feed. Can't really do it anyway, too many trees, too far.

Is there any code compliant way to get a feed to his boat house without burying it??

Thank you.

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
Hi Don;
That is good to know. Where is that detailed in the code?
Rigid is allowed to be exposed..I thougth it was at least 6" of cover from table 300.5

There is not a walkway from where destination to the source.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Check with power co. about them feeding a meter. Also consider a generator & have a carpenter build a sound reducing enclosure around it. I assume boathouse is not on rock shelf? Set it 20-30 feet away & trench to boathouse. Customer would have to activate the generator on his way in to the boathouse, a downside.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Someone mentioned solar/wind. Haven't see much of that around here, except solar panels feeding traffic warning lights, etc. The litte bit of solar lighting sold here in stores was all junk that I saw. One lighting dealer said he had too many returns on it and quit handling it. I've seen websites of co's selling street lights, etc. All very high dollar.

Anyone know of a good source of learning for solar/wind? I'd like to know more and have more source of supply.

e57

Options: (Points A to B, or A to C then B. Or C to B.)
  1. Follow the plumber?
  2. Directional boring.
  3. Shafts and tunnels.
  4. Surface mount conduit - artfully decorated/landscaped/rocks/wall.
  5. Under driveway, walkway, or stairways.
  6. New service?
  7. Generator.

celtic

Hi Don;
Rigid is allowed to be exposed..I thougth it was at least 6" of cover from table 300.5
The 6" of cover applies ONLY if you bury it....leaving it topside relieves you of T300.5.

Strapping it down and possible trip hazard must now be considered.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
You can run rigid exposed. Is there a sidewalk or other walkway between the supply and the boathouse?

Rigid PVC or Rigid Metal??? It doesn't seem like it would have to be rigid if it were metal conduit.

Not sure: would it be legal to run a conduit on top of the existing ground, and then cover it with dirt? I know erosion would be a concern, but if you put enough dirt on top, and planted grass, etc. it seems like it might be a possibility.

I'm not suggesting you do this, I'm just thinking out loud.

Steve

celtic

Rigid PVC or Rigid Metal??? It doesn't seem like it would have to be rigid if it were metal conduit.

You could pretty much run anything you wanted...check the 3xx.10 for the methods interested in.

Not sure: would it be legal to run a conduit on top of the existing ground, and then cover it with dirt? I know erosion would be a concern, but if you put enough dirt on top, and planted grass, etc. it seems like it might be a possibility.

I'm not suggesting you do this, I'm just thinking out loud.

Steve
Which brings us back to T300.5.....but it is an interesting concept.
Two planting beds to "accentuate" the path to the boathouse....one filled with flowers and dirt...the other flowers, dirt and electric ;)

Don't forget the upsell of path lighting
icon14.gif

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Hi Don;

There is not a walkway from where destination to the source.
There is no restiction on surface installed rigid conduit, however it must be secured every 10' and could be a tripping hazard. If you cover it with earth, you must have at least 6" of cover...if you don't cover it, then 300.5 does not apply.

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
OK, I can install surface mounted conduit...

I will review 3xx.10 for details.

The area where this conduit will go is along the edge of his lot, in a wooded area. No one normally walks there. This area is about 30' wide, on one side is water (Lk Hopatcong) the other side of this wooded space is the edge of his back lawn.

The HO and I were discussing planting 4x4 posts and attaching the conduit. This area is all ledge rock. If you are lucky you may find a small space without rock.

A small addition at this house (12x12) was pinned to the rock.

Options: (Points A to B, or A to C then B. Or C to B.)
  1. Follow the plumber?
  2. Directional boring.
  3. Shafts and tunnels.
  4. Surface mount conduit - artfully decorated/landscaped/rocks/wall.
  5. Under driveway, walkway, or stairways.
  6. New service?
  7. Generator.

Don't forget the expansion coupling for the rigid, if that's what you choose. (If it is not a single straight run you may not have to bother with that.)

tomspark1

When I lived in the hill country, we rented ditchers that had a big wheel on the back with rock grinding teeth on it. Worked great. About a 6" wide perfect ditch in solid rock. Seems like those should be available in any rocky area.

Status
Not open for further replies.