Pluming Code Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Does the UPC or IPC have requirement for a sign at the power meter if the metal water service line is replaced with plastic?
If you have a UPC or IPC, can you post the language on the above?

Last edited:

Charlie Bob

I read that code book from top to bottom several times, and i don't recall seeing anything to that extent.
I have the IPC 2006 code book i'll check it out though.
It may be in the IBC,IRC (international building code book, or residential building codebook), since they mention electrical and plumbing as well.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Tom,

Why do you think that a sign would be required? Isn't the requirement for a supplemental electrode exactly for this purpose?

gndrod

Irc, upc

Irc, upc

I read that code book from top to bottom several times, and i don't recall seeing anything to that extent.
I have the IPC 2006 code book i'll check it out though.

It may be in the IBC,IRC (international building code book, or residential building codebook), since they mention electrical and plumbing as well.

There are no IRC cross trade plumbing references to electrical bonding to plumbing metal parts other than the dielectric isolation of copper from galvy plumbing supply pipes. In past resi plumbing systems, both supply and drain metal piping were bonded in order to prevent electrical leakage potential onto all faucets and pipes...etc.

With Pex and other modern non-metal piping, only electrical plumbing appliances have required interface bonding as directed from the manufacturer instructions. The NEC falls short on describing exact bonding details other than 250.104(A) & (B) Other metal piping and mixing valve bonding AHJ approvals. rbj

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I've seen the sign requirement in the UPC I don't have a copy at home. Seems like the Seattle Plumbing Code had a similar requirement. Its basically to let us the GE is no longer effective, recall that before 1979 we didn't have the supplement ground rod

cadpoint

...etc.

With Pex and other modern non-metal piping, only electrical plumbing appliances have required interface bonding as directed from the manufacturer instructions. The NEC falls short on describing exact bonding details other than 250.104(A) & (B) Other metal piping and mixing valve bonding AHJ approvals. rbj

Well not exactly
Why, only use what is present! If it's gone later? What?
If your'll read 250.50 through 250.52(A)(1) it could go either way with the exception.

Last edited:
I've seen the sign requirement in the UPC I don't have a copy at home. Seems like the Seattle Plumbing Code had a similar requirement. Its basically to let us the GE is no longer effective, recall that before 1979 we didn't have the supplement ground rod
You probably would get a better answer at the Plumbing forum. I know I dont recall anything in the codes, NEC or others for that matter.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The 2006 UPC has the following:
608.4 Approved plastic materials may be used in water service piping, provided that where metal water service piping is used for electrical grounding purposes, replacment piping therefor shall be of like materials.
Excecption: Where a grounding system acceptable to the Authority Having Jurisdiction is installed, inspected and approved, metallic pipe may be replaced with non-metallic pipe.

Same language in 2003 and 2000 UPC

c2500

I have to wonder if the guys dig up the old metal lines or just leave them? In my experience it is asier to leave them. At my own house, I replaced the incoming line with PVC, and left the old galvanized line in place with a nice clamp and #4 solid attached.

c2500

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
A homeowner will dig it up, a plumber won't waste any time and replace it all. If the old galv line goes bad here, then it will go bad there next, esp when the leak is fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.