calc 2005 study book

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb_04

I am studying for the Journeyman test. I currently have the 05 Tom Henry calculations book. Was wondering if this is fine vs. buying the 08 book?

Isn't calc, calc?

Thanks.

mcclary's electrical

You need to know what cycle you're testing on,,,,and get a book for that. don't study 05 and 08,,,not for the test. After the test,,,of course read what you want. But get a book to match your test. In VA right now,,,they are testing off 05' and american electricians hanbook 14th edition.

jb_04

test is on the 08 NEC. I was thinking though that calculations can't change much, since its just math, can it? Or maybe I should just be safe and get the 08 calculations book.

test is on the 08 NEC. I was thinking though that calculations can't change much, since its just math, can it? Or maybe I should just be safe and get the 08 calculations book.

I agree.

Most test takers spend too much time studying calculations for the test. Most tests have a small percentage of calculation questions, studying a whole book of calculations is a huge waste of your precious time.
I would study possibly 10 different calc questions, and spend the time saved on the NEC.

radiopet

I agree.

Most test takers spend too much time studying calculations for the test. Most tests have a small percentage of calculation questions, studying a whole book of calculations is a huge waste of your precious time.
I would study possibly 10 different calc questions, and spend the time saved on the NEC.

I agree 100%....Fact is you could study the calculations until you are blue in the face and chances are the ones you will get are simple one level type calculations. But waste your time scampering around the NEC will eat up time making you open to poor choices. Learn the basic calculations but spend the majority of your time being able to disect the portion of the question that leads you to the right article or section in the NEC and you will be fine. My experience in training people to take NEC exams is be able to find items in the code quick and accurate and know the nuts and bolts of the calculations and you should be ok.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Test taking should follow Mike Holt's recommendation -

First time through the test, answer all, the easy questions (this could be all of them, but then again, maybe not) on the first time through the test.

Second pass , do the easy look ups.

Third time, now do the crawl for hard to answer questions that you think you can solve.

Fourth pass, don't leave any question blank! If you don't mark something, you will miss it for sure!

I've done Mike's materials and courses for year's, and averaged 85% t0 90+ % for scores. So I can conclude that Mike put's out some of the best information available (at least for me).

Fianally, remember, the whole mission is to PASS, regardlsess of score, so the more questions answered (correctly) the better the possibility of securing a license in whatever your testing for! Don't bog down on a question! Keep moving!

Even if you do not pass, you'll know what to study for on the next go around, so test whenever possible to get an idea of where you are at.

Status
Not open for further replies.