Another Clueless Customer

Status
Not open for further replies.

emahler

Working for me would be just like working for your dad,now how bad could that be.You would have to pass the drug screen and background check ,no Physc eval though.

maybe...but at least here I can keep all the wirenuts I want....

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
You know, I actually ran across a fellow last week that did - nothing but buchanans and insulating caps for every termination, but that's fodder for a different thread.

Anyway, you both stink, so you can both get along, despite the fact you're both going to wind up working for each other, hating every minute and planning the other's assured demise. :D :D

Anyway, let's get back to the philosophy, that's the good stuff. :)

Rewire

heres a cost cutter I am working on. I am trying to determine the minimum amount of fuel to have in the tank of the service vans based on average daily milage of the van factoring in the time costinvolved in refueling and the MPG rating of the van.. Filling the tank adds weight so finding the optimum amount of fuel will decrease the weight and help to increase milage which will translate into savings or thats the idea.

emahler

heres a cost cutter I am working on. I am trying to determine the minimum amount of fuel to have in the tank of the service vans based on average daily milage of the van factoring in the time costinvolved in refueling and the MPG rating of the van.. Filling the tank adds weight so finding the optimum amount of fuel will decrease the weight and help to increase milage which will translate into savings or thats the idea.

c'mon George...:D

aline

Here's the cost cutter I'm working on.
I try to determine which way the wind is going to be blowing that day and schedule the calls down wind to help facilitate the peddling for maximum effiencency. I also don't pay for any travel time, just actual time spent at the job.

This is for service calls.
WorkBike1.jpg

For larger projects we use this set-up.
triple-bike-trailers.jpg

Last edited:

emahler

i think you may want to get spandex uniforms for your techs and a more aerodynamic hard hat...less wind resistance....:D

JFletcher

^^ :grin:

I'm not sure which is more unsettling: that you're throwing out ridiculous cost-cutting measures just to see the reactions to them, or that you are stating them in all seriousness. In the event it is the latter:

Reducing the weight of a vehicle of that type by 100lbs (or ~16 gallons of gas) nets <1% fuel savings.

One of my former bosses did what you propose. Make sure you factor in tow bills for the inevitable event of running out of gas.

Rewire

^^ :grin:

I'm not sure which is more unsettling: that you're throwing out ridiculous cost-cutting measures just to see the reactions to them, or that you are stating them in all seriousness. In the event it is the latter:

Reducing the weight of a vehicle of that type by 100lbs (or ~16 gallons of gas) nets <1% fuel savings.

One of my former bosses did what you propose. Make sure you factor in tow bills for the inevitable event of running out of gas.

What unsettles me is the fact that we are in the middle of the worst economic downturn sinse Carter and you are calling cost cutting measures ridiculous.If yiu think this year was bad wait till next year.The next bear in the woods is commercial realestate.Unemployment is in double digits in many areas most staes are straped for cash so no new construction .If you are not looking at those 1% savings then good luck surviving. When you need to trim your costs by 10% then every 1% counts.

aline

I would cut the employees wages to the point they can't afford to eat.
This will cause them to lose weight further increasing the fuel efficiency of the vehicle. :)

In the future I would weigh prospective employees so I could make sure I'm hiring the lightest ones to drive the service vehicles. :)

I would monitor their weight to make sure they don't put too much weight on and start effecting the mileage. :)

Seriously though, I think there are a lot of service vehicles out there with junk piled to the ceiling. They would benefit greatly by cleaning up their act and getting better organized.

Not only would they reduce the weight they would be able to find what then need when they need it. Keep inventory to a level to support one day's worth of work and restock what was used each day.

Don't carry tools around that seldom ever get used. These tools could be put on the truck when you know they'll be needed that day.

The type of material used for racks and storage bins can be another weight saver. How about more areodynamic vehicles with ladders possibly placed inside?

How about trading in that old clunker for a more fuel efficient model?

Last edited:

union91

I am new in this buissiness dont know how to estimate

I am new in this buissiness dont know how to estimate

I see that you are very experienced i like to know how to learn to estimate
my work as new electrcia. thank you for helping.

1Harleyguy

Clueless in America

Clueless in America

I have been on the recieving end of they Do-It-Yourselfer's and they call and want a quote over the phone to do work. This is something that I don't do because what they say and what actually needs to be done are two entirely different things and they hold you to a quote. Example: I was called from a friend who owns a pizza parlor and wanted (4) cieling fans changed out for new ones (which she was going to buy at Home Depot) I thought that's a NO BRAINER so I quoted her $XX per fan to include assembly and hang them. I get to the pizza parlor the next day and I encounter the Husband and he wants (2) fans relocated in an area that gets real warm (made sense to me). I got my ladder to see whats involved above the grid ceiling in relocating the fans. What a MESS the fans were supported by 2x4's and the MC was spliced in 2 locations (just wire nuts, no junction box) to add length to existing fans and now the owner wants me to move them even farther. To move the (2) fans was certainly a additional cost. I gave him a quote to do the additional work and he said he was going to hold off until he spoke with his wife. Long story short he found some renegade electrician to do the work. I followed up with his wife to see when they wanted to get the fans moved & installed she said that it was done already, thanked me and said her husband felt that I charged too much in the estimate. This is a good example why commecial buildings sometime burn down. Trying to save a buck by getting by with shoddy work! In the end they lose more.

anchorman49

Engineer

Engineer

I haven't seen anyone talk about local codes and permits. Where I live, we have to hire electricians to obtain the appropriate permits to accomplish electrical work. A home owner can accomplish minor electrical work on their own but if they hire an electrician, they have to obtain permits.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Welcome to the forum! :)

I haven't seen anyone talk about local codes and permits.
We do plenty, trust me.
Where I live, we have to hire electricians to obtain the appropriate permits to accomplish electrical work.
Here, an owner may get a permit to do some of their own work, but the permit and inspection requirements still apply.
A home owner can accomplish minor electrical work on their own but if they hire an electrician, they have to obtain permits.
Absolutely. Company must be a business and a contractor, and must emply a Master.

Status
Not open for further replies.