Service riser with Line/Load conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minuteman

We have started bidding repairs for these 203k mortgage homes. The first bid was straight forward, but this second house is unusual for me.

The house has a 200 amp FPE on the outside wall of a walk-in closet that needs upgrading. There is a meter base on the other side of the wall with a meter jumper plate that jumpers from Line to Load. The riser has 4/0 AL to the weather head, connected to a triplex. The triplex connect to a pole with another riser having Line/load conductors and a meter base.

I am bidding to relocate the panel by placing it outside and converting the FPE to a j-box and replacing the 4/0 AL. However, I'm not sure about the line/load portion of the pole riser. I know that it's not a disco, but will I need to run 4 wire aerial from the pole to the house? Should I just contact the poco about moving the meter base to the house?

Any advise would be appreciated.

michael

Buck Parrish

Contact the poco to do the ariel work, move meter to the house. If you have a crawl space It's not much harder to splice the wires in the crawl, and attic. Instead of useing the old panel as a junction box.

Minuteman

Thanks Buck.Are you saying
that if I leave the meter on the other pole (near the house) than I should have the poco upgrade the overhead to 4 wire?

No, the house is on a slab and the Hip Roof is so low over the wall that it's not practical to do it in the attic. Converting the old panel into a j-box is quite common here.

Rewire

We have started bidding repairs for these 203k mortgage homes. The first bid was straight forward, but this second house is unusual for me.

The house has a 200 amp FPE on the outside wall of a walk-in closet that needs upgrading. There is a meter base on the other side of the wall with a meter jumper plate that jumpers from Line to Load. The riser has 4/0 AL to the weather head, connected to a triplex. The triplex connect to a pole with another riser having Line/load conductors and a meter base.

I am bidding to relocate the panel by placing it outside and converting the FPE to a j-box and replacing the 4/0 AL. However, I'm not sure about the line/load portion of the pole riser. I know that it's not a disco, but will I need to run 4 wire aerial from the pole to the house? Should I just contact the poco about moving the meter base to the house?

Any advise would be appreciated.

michael

If you do ,not have a disconnect at the pole you do not need to run 4 wire .

Status
Not open for further replies.