flat screen tv help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lat1

a customer has a new flatscreen tv mounted on the wall, and there is a 1' gap between the bottom of the tv and the top of the stereo cabinet with all of the sat. and stereo equipment in it. she wants me to hide all of the wires hanging between the tv and cabinet. i routed all of the LV cables thru the wall but now i need to deal with the power cord. right now the tv is plugged into a fancy power conditioner(?) in the stereo cab., so my plan of adding a regular outlet behind the tv wont work.
is there some kind of male plug head that i could mount in a receptacle box and fish a wireup to a regular receptacle behind the tv, and then use a patch cord with 2 female plug ends to connect the power conditioner to the tv outlet?
i know there are ways to do this but i am stumped......

wireperson

I would install a surge protected receptacle behind the TV , Home Depot sells those made by Leviton at 30 bucks, they are not recessed tho.

iMuse97

Two comments:
1. Their "power conditioner" is probably primarily for the audio and video signaling/transmitting/receiving equipment. The screen is an "end user" (so to speak), and therefore not as critical a component needing the clean power. So I think you could probably convince them to go with the surge-protector receptacle mentioned previously. Get a deep enough box for that thing.

2. Good luck. :) I've done a few of these retrofits and they are all a challenge.

Last edited:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Leviton makes a recessed box that U can use. Place the surge outlet ahead of the flat panel outlet and protect both.

CarlAshcraft

The product made by Vanco that is linked in the abouve quote, is an excellent solution for what you are looking for. We have used this device on many occassions for exactly what you are describing. The way it works is similar to an extension cord, but it has romex or mc connecting the two boxes togehter.

electricalperson

i always install receptacles behind the tv. i think they make TVSS receptacles you can use. i cant imagine power being dirty inside of a house unless theres other things on the poco's line

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
i always install receptacles behind the tv. i think they make TVSS receptacles you can use. i cant imagine power being dirty inside of a house unless theres other things on the poco's line
You'd be surprised how dirty our power is. I have UPS on all the computers and the Flat panel. At least once a month the UPS logs a hit or a brown out.

electricmanscott

Here's an option I ran into recently. The AV installer had me install a receptacle in the basement under the area of the new TV. What happend next I have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.