room for additions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie Bob

Everyone knows how much of a pain in the butt, adding a new circuit to panel box can be!! I heard about electricians hooking 1 or 2 1/2" conduit stub-outs and leaviing them empty. This in both commercial and residential.
Has anybody ever done such a thing?

bobsherwood

ALWAYS!! :) if it's a flush mount panel board, on campus, we'll stub several 3/4's. If I do residental, I'll stub 1 1/2". Just being nice to the next guy!

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I do as must of our customers are repeat. I land my conduits in a box with cover marked "Spare to panel __" or use a connector to threaded rigid coupling with a bell box hub closure screwed into it. This is commercial.

SEO

It use to be a requirement in the special rules of one code enforcement area for commercial to have 2 3/4" spares stubbed out . I think that it's a good policy and always do if there is room.

yanici

Occupation
Old Retired Master/Journeyman Electrician
A little off topic, but I had opened an existing flush panel in order to fish another BX in. The original installer of the panel had knocked out all of the unused 1/2" KOs at the top of the panel. Then he snapped 1/2" KO seals into the openings from inside the panel so that they could be easily removed if needed. Sounds pretty good, right? Well, let me tell you, those KO seals were loosey-goosey and ready to fall straight into the panel and who knows where they would land. I just touched one and down it came. Luckily didn't land across the panel buss.

Status
Not open for further replies.