CA exam prep

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am prepariing to take CA's general exam. I am a C-10 hoping to better my family's life!! The economy has caught up to me. I lived through .com and the last 2 years of housing and employment crunch only to finally run out of money (ie savings).

I had my hours and vocational training in 1987 but joined the Military prior to testing in KS.. My history has been residential with some commercial and industrial thrown in. In which this qualified me for the C-10.

With CA new certification i am unable to become an employee without cert.
Yes i will dump this GOOD life to become an employee.

Yes I would like to hear everything about testing prep, question catagories, what if any materials are supplied. Out of a data base of 10000's of questions which 100 are they going to ask me!!!

What areas of concern do i have if any..
I have worked residential for years, This is why I have chosen to take a general exam.

Any advise greatly appreciated
thanks

e57

Welcome to the forum - And Welcome to my world....

I too am Military trained as an Electrician, (didn't know anyone to get in the IBEW) worked for other people - just my C-10 worked for me until the .com bust, then back to the relitively risk free life of employment.... However - depending on where you are - there may be quite a lot of competition for being an employee. (I was just laid off and there is very little out there now... Just lots of EC's cutting each others throats for the time being. Who also are being under cut by trunk-slammers....)

That said - I'll PM you with a website for some usefull info. And say this - keep your C-10 active... Also at some point down the line - soon - you may also need to have a certification to apply to get a C-10, or require a yet to be created higher level certification, requiring a General Certification first. (Not a law yet - but it is in the model this crap was created from.)

There are also a few other inquiries for this on the forum you might to look at here in the CEU and Exam Prep area.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
You could always subcontract to the EC and not be an employee. Basically work perdiem. This might work out better unless you need the health insurance. You can still write off buisness expenses as long as you are active as a C-10

e57

You could always subcontract to the EC and not be an employee. Basically work perdiem. This might work out better unless you need the health insurance. You can still write off buisness expenses as long as you are active as a C-10
I know very few EC's 'trusting' enough to consider it, as you are a potential customer theif. And fewer GC's would accept a sub to sub liability path. (Or wouldn't just go to the sub for the next one. ;))

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I know very few EC's 'trusting' enough to consider it, as you are a potential customer theif. And fewer GC's would accept a sub to sub liability path. (Or wouldn't just go to the sub for the next one. ;))
I get your point but what's the difference. As a C-10 you don't need to give up your license to be an employee. So there still is the potential for the Customer theif. An if you are the Employer and don't know that you just Hired a C-10 you would be an idiot. As far as I know the Law in CA prohibits one from stealing the customer( at least if you approach that customer) .

e57

As far as I know the Law in CA prohibits one from stealing the customer( at least if you approach that customer) .
Got a ref? My understanding is there has to be a contractual understanding - MOU, or what have you. PM me...

But then again that is another topic...

Some other threads.... Of the same subject

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=113752
http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=116789
http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=116766

As one can see these questions come up a bit....

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Got a ref? My understanding is there has to be a contractual understanding - MOU, or what have you. PM me...

There is a law that the customers and good will are that of the owner. If an employee solicits a customer on company time there can be an issue as to the best of my knowledge is against the law here in CA. The customer can contact the employee that would be a ethical but not legal issue.
I'n not a lawyer so I can't be absolute.

e57

There is a law that the customers and good will are that of the owner. If an employee solicits a customer on company time there can be an issue as to the best of my knowledge is against the law here in CA. The customer can contact the employee that would be a ethical but not legal issue.
Lets keep it in the PM or another thread....

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I can't seem to fine the Law code Maybe it's one of those CA laws up to interpetation.??
I'm gonna look into it further.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I can't seem to fine the Law code Maybe it's one of those CA laws up to interpetation.??
I'm gonna look into it further.

The more I think of think that this was a theory someone told me and not a legitimate law. There is such a law in specific industries and the customer list is treated as a "Trade secret".

I you the employee are looking for work from a GC and you look up that GC's phone number in the book and say " hey remeber me can you throw me some work" I can't see that as a issue or a ethical one.

Now if you take the customer list and put out a mailer I think there could be a issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.