Low Voltage Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregtpa33

Can the panel for pre wired cable and phone in a residence be placed in a bedroom closet?
My inspector says no but I can not find code to support either his intreptation or mine.

iwire

Staff member
Nothing specifically prohibits it from being in a closet but the closet would have to be large and a big space could not be used for storage. The work place rules in 110.26 apply.

e57

Can the panel for pre wired cable and phone in a residence be placed in a bedroom closet?
My inspector says no but I can not find code to support either his intreptation or mine.

There are a few interpetaions of 110.26 - but most electricians dont think of phones and CATV as "Electrical" for some reason - but hte code wording would be applicable depending on WHO read it. And it ihad 120v or not, or if there is OCP on the circuits for all of it....

(A) Working Space. Working space for equipment operating at 600 volts, nominal, or less to ground and likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized shall comply with the dimensions of 110.26(A)(1), (2), and (3) or as required or permitted elsewhere in this Code.

That said there are a number of other 'standards' that while they may not be enforcable - also deter intallations in storage closets for terminations. One thing is for sure the phone company will give you the hairy eyeball if not laugh out loud if you did it on a commercial install. They have simular clearances in their manuals.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I would say it can go in a closet.
Otherwise would a junction box be allowed in a storage closet.
I think the issue is live parts and overcurrent devices.
A media cabinet is not a electrical panel.

iwire

Staff member
I would say it can go in a closet.
Otherwise would a junction box be allowed in a storage closet.
I think the issue is live parts and overcurrent devices.
A media cabinet is not a electrical panel.

Where does this section say it is limited to 'electrical panels or over current devices?

A) Working Space. Working space for equipment operating at 600 volts, nominal, or less to ground and likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized shall comply with the dimensions of 110.26(A)(1), (2), and (3) or as required or permitted elsewhere in this Code

I see it applies to equipment which is a term defined in Article 100. :)

nhfire77

Ask for code reference, nicely. How big is the closet. Maybe a walk in?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Where does this section say it is limited to 'electrical panels or over current devices?

Quote:
A) Working Space. Working space for equipment operating at 600 volts, nominal, or less to ground and likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized shall comply with the dimensions of 110.26(A)(1), (2), and (3) or as required or permitted elsewhere in this Code

I see it applies to equipment which is a term defined in Article 100. :)

Why would it require examination, adjusment, servicing or maintenence while energized. If energize where is the safety issue. When was the last guy or HO od DIY killed by splicing a catv connection. Do you normally inspect your phone and cable connections regularly are they energized and are unsafe to work live!
Look at the heading of this code I don't think the code applies to such enclosures.

Next you'll be telling us that you cannot put a junction box in a area that does not have proper clearence. ( I bet I opend a can of worms with this one:))

Last edited:

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I say yes the panel is allowed.
See 90.3
Mike Holt has a graphic showing telephone equipment not being allowed in an electrical closet as its not electrical equipment.
And 110.26 does not apply unless there is a rule in Art 800 that refers you to 110.26
Chapter 8 is a giant exception to the NEC, some call it the Unthumbed Pages

Last edited:

mcclary's electrical

Why would it require examination, adjusment, servicing or maintenence while energized. If energize where is the safety issue. When was the last guy or HO od DIY killed by splicing a catv connection.
HTML:
Do you normally inspect your phone and cable connections regularly are they energized and are unsafe to work live!
Look at the heading of this code I don't think the code applies to such enclosures.

Next you'll be telling us that you cannot put a junction box in a area that does not have proper clearence. ( I bet I opend a can of worms with this one:))

You have ODVIOUSLY never been touching a phone line when it rang!!!

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Nothing specifically prohibits it from being in a closet but the closet would have to be large and a big space could not be used for storage. The work place rules in 110.26 apply.
I don't think so...these are Chapter 8 installations and Chapters 1-4 do not apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.