Small question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oakey

Well this has been itching at me for a few days, so I may as well throw it out there...
I have a customer with a Kiln for pottery that operates on 240V 30 amp. She has it in a bedroom (a mess really) and needs it wired with a cord and receptacle, easy job actually. For some reason installing this in a bedroom doesn't seem quite right to me or for future owners of this condo..is there anything wrong with this installation as far as safety and the like? I guess its no different than a 220V A/C outlet but this is a 30 amp dryer receptacle.

ItsHot

I don't see a problem with it. Seems like a strange location. Maybe she wants it to help with heating during the winter! These pottery kilns are heavy insulated. This may be more of a local fire code issue. Especially if this is multi-family dwelling!!

PCN

I know this this isn't what you're asking but I'd bet the condo association has some rule preventing it.
But that's not your problem as long you get paid before they make her take it out.

I agree it could be more of a fire hazard than anything.

480sparky

I don't see any fire hazard with a kiln being in the bedroom. No different than an oven in the kitchen, really! But I really see a problem with the potential mess that will be made in the bedroom.

Most resi kilns I've done are in the basement, or garage... somewhere where a slop of clay won't stain the carpet.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Pull a permit and see what the AHJ has to say. IF it's ok then go with the flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.