Shunt trip for A/V equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keri_WW

I received a request to provide a "shunt trip panel for all A/V equipment." First of all, is it common to shunt trip audio equipment? Secondly, would feeding a small panel with one shunt trip breaker (and all the small branch circuits from it be normal breakers) be the correct way to go?

Thanks,
Keri :grin::grin:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
First of all, is it common to shunt trip audio equipment?
No, but so what? If that's what they want, do it well, charge well, and make everyone happy.

Secondly, would feeding a small panel with one shunt trip breaker (and all the small branch circuits from it be normal breakers) be the correct way to go?
That depends on the cost of doing it each way, individual shunt breakers vs. a shunt-trip main, and that depends on, among other things, the quantity of circuits and whether they merit a separate panel anyway.

emahler

actually, depending on the venue, it could be very common...in the IBC, certain establishments (theaters, night clubs, etc) are required to have their lighting and sound tied into their fire alarm...

alarm goes off, sound goes off and all lights go on full bright...

it's a recent change, and we've had to deal with it a few times now...

and yes, a sub-panel fed by a shunt trip breaker is the easiest, and most cost effective, way to do it...

Keri_WW

actually, depending on the venue, it could be very common...in the IBC, certain establishments (theaters, night clubs, etc) are required to have their lighting and sound tied into their fire alarm...

alarm goes off, sound goes off and all lights go on full bright...

it's a recent change, and we've had to deal with it a few times now...

and yes, a sub-panel fed by a shunt trip breaker is the easiest, and most cost effective, way to do it...

Thanks for the info. It is a restaurant with a stage/bar. The number of circuits they need is still a bit up in the air, that is why I was leaning towards providing a main shunt trip feeding a subpanel.

jdsmith

Thanks for the info. It is a restaurant with a stage/bar. The number of circuits they need is still a bit up in the air, that is why I was leaning towards providing a main shunt trip feeding a subpanel.

Not sure how big of a panel you're talking about or if you're on the lower end of panelboards (or load centers) but if you have a higher end main breaker you can field install a shunt trip device. The shunt trip accessory for an industrial class molded case breaker is about $20-30.

wireguru

this is very common, many jursdictions want the sound system killed when the fire alarm is activated. Dont know if its a national code or not. I have been involved in a few nightclub installations where there were shunt trip breakers supplying the sound and lighting panelboards, and a bypass contactor which would bring the house lights to full brightness when the fire alarm is activated.

Status
Not open for further replies.