vanity light height??

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
How can this question be answered without seeing a cut sheets on the fixture and talking to the designer/homeowner???

PCN

Unless I know the exact height and type of mirror at rough in I usually bury a few feet of wire in the area where I think the box or boxes will end up. Then cut the box in after the dyrwall is done and mirror is in place.

I also take a sharpie and write "bury wire" on the wire. That way the drywallers might actually leave the wire in the wall.

Last edited:

brian john

unless i know the exact height and type of mirror at rough in i usually bury a few feet of wire in the area where i think the box or boxes will end up. Then cut the box in after the dyrwall is done and mirror is in place.

I also take a sharpie and write "bury wire" on the wire. That way the drywallers might actually leave the wire in the wall.

bingo.........................

buzzbar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Unless it's a custom house, I've always put the center of the box at 80". Centering depends of course on the sink. The plumber usually centers the drain on the center of the sink, which gives you the center line.

I hate 'roughing in' a box after the drywall's up. What a waste of time (in the long run). But, sometimes it's unavoidable.

magictolight.com

Unless it's a custom house, I've always put the center of the box at 80". Centering depends of course on the sink. The plumber usually centers the drain on the center of the sink, which gives you the center line.

I hate 'roughing in' a box after the drywall's up. What a waste of time (in the long run). But, sometimes it's unavoidable.

Can you really count on a plumber getting it right? Loop feeding in the wall is the way to go.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The plumber usually centers the drain on the center of the sink, which gives you the center line.
And, they also usually run the vent straight up, right where a centered box wants to be. A plumber did that one for me, but I outsmarted him! ;)

I made a hole in a 2x4 blocking with a hole-saw, then cut it in half through the hole, and mounted it between the studs, surrounding the vent.

Then, I mounted a pancake box across the cut, rejoining the halves of the blocking. This one was a pair of back-to-back sinks, so I used two boxes.

I only drew one box for the pics, but you get the idea. It looked something like this, top and front:

Pipes.jpg
Pipes2.jpg

quogueelectric

And, they also usually run the vent straight up, right where a centered box wants to be. A plumber did that one for me, but I outsmarted him! ;)

I made a hole in a 2x4 blocking with a hole-saw, then cut it in half through the hole, and mounted it between the studs, surrounding the vent.

Then, I mounted a pancake box across the cut, rejoining the halves of the blocking. This one was a pair of back-to-back sinks, so I used two boxes.

I only drew one box for the pics, but you get the idea. It looked something like this, top and front:

Pipes.jpg
Pipes2.jpg

nice idea.........

480sparky

Usually, when I'm roughing a house, the HO has absolutely NO IDEA what they're going to have un the bathrooms.

So I just make several loops, one in each stub cavity, and that covers me.

Rough-in:

DSC04439a.jpg

Six months later, the HO decides she wants a light on each side of the mirror.

DSC04972a.jpg

I could have put a single light over the mirror, or added a 3rd light there, heck I could put in 6-8 lights should that what is requested.

macmikeman

Thats what I do sometimes 480, same gig. But depending on the customer sometimes I put it right where the blueprints say it is supposed to go from the elevation drawings, and then if it has to be moved----$ kaching--- CO time. My moods are all over the place.......:):mad::roll::cool::D

nakulak

Usually, when I'm roughing a house, the HO has absolutely NO IDEA what they're going to have un the bathrooms.

So I just make several loops, one in each stub cavity, and that covers me.

I could have put a single light over the mirror, or added a 3rd light there, heck I could put in 6-8 lights should that what is requested.

pure genius, I salute you

Power Tech

That has not been my experience. Sometimes they angle the connection to the vanity to where the vanity gets set. I hate "patching"

Like on previous posts I bury the wire and cut in after the vanity is set. I hate "patching" because the finish carpenter moves the vanity over a few inches cause......

The only other thing to look for is if the plumber puts his vent riser in the middle of the sink.

PCN

The only drawback to having the wire buried is half the time the drywaller will poke the wire thru the wall at some random spot, like 48" off the floor or out the back side of the wall in an adjacent room

It's funny, the one wire you want them to bury they seem to want do the opposite. I've also had the loop that I've left in the wall pinched between the drywall and the stud.

I think the drywallers are out to mess with all electricians. :grin:

480sparky

The only drawback to having the wire buried is half the time the drywaller will poke the wire thru the wall at some random spot, like 48" off the floor or out the back side of the wall in an adjacent room

It's funny, the one wire you want them to bury they seem to want do the opposite. I've also had the loop that I've left in the wall pinched between the drywall and the stud.

I think the drywallers are out to mess with all electricians. :grin:

Then the drywallers can pay to fix the hole left in the wall.

electricalperson

i dont really think there is a set height for vanity lights. depends on what they want. i usually just coil wires between 4 or 5 studs and leave them in the wall and cut them in later unless we get measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.