paralleled conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have a 400 amp 480v service .From pole to ct is 60 feet. Would you guys run 1 set of 600 mcm or two sets of 4/0. There is only 1- 4" pvc

benaround

I have a 400 amp 480v service .From pole to ct is 60 feet. Would you guys run 1 set of 600 mcm or two sets of 4/0. There is only 1- 4" pvc

Depending on 3 wire or 4 wire service you would need to derate the 4/0's to 80% or 70%

neither add up to 400amps.

iwire

Staff member
I priced out one set of 600 copper in one raceway vs two sets of 3/0 copper in two raceways and the two sets was cheaper by a large factor.

Labor was close to the same as the runs would have been mostly straight on a flat roof.

I needed at least 400 amps.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Bob, I know I'm going to regret asking this as you are always sharp as a tack, but what about 310.15(b)(2)(c) ? Not a factor ?

iwire

Staff member
but what about 310.15(b)(2)(c) ? Not a factor ?

It was and I could have explained myself better when I said I needed 400 amps.

I started with 100 F and went with the 40 F adder. along with the double 125% that PV systems require, I can not remember what the 'real' load was but it was not very high at all.:)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation

I started with 100 F and went with the 40 F adder. along with the double 125% that PV systems require, I can not remember what the 'real' load was but it was not very high at all.:)

I figured you had it covered, sorry :)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Frank, not challenging you, and you are correct, curious, how often have you seen a service with a major portion of the load nonlinear ?
That's not intended to be "smart alec", but I often wonder. I don't recall ever seeing one.

benaround

Frank, not challenging you, and you are correct, curious, how often have you seen a service with a major portion of the load nonlinear ?
That's not intended to be "smart alec", but I often wonder. I don't recall ever seeing one.

Gus,

That has got to be the nicest way I have ever been told I was wrong, and I am wrong

so much for saving face :) , and thanks

bob

What does that mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.