to torque or not to torque

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie Bob

I've been doing it for a while.
I used to tight lugs and such just by feeling, but i started getting concerned after finding a number of them getting loose after a while.
-I was just wondering hwo many of you all like to torque them as well?
( I like the one that clicks when done, you twist the handle to adjust)

I've been trying to find a torque screwdriver but i've never seen one.
_does anybody make them?

480sparky

Klein makes 'em too. Model 57034.

57034_ICON.JPG

I want to torque, but i find myself not doing it over and over again. It seems to me that every insepctor ever does not check such things, and every screw/bolt tightens so smoothly and tightly that getting the exact pressure on the wire is almost an obsessive practice that doesnt really make a difference unless you frequently break meter lugs from over tightening or get calls about loose connections 5 years later. like i said i want to do it precisly, i just feel that my hand is a good enough gauge when it comes to what it really important. and does anybody make a nice hex set sized for meters and panels that fits a torque wrench which fits in my pocket?

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
I use this one:

sjdiscounttools_2068_195965033

I keep it in my bag. 16-88 in-lbs. very tough. I use if for all terminals (except screw terminals on devices).

Mark

brian john

The average electrician tightening by "FEEL" is usually over-tightening 2-3 times the specified torque.

Based on spot checks we made years ago.

Power Tech

The average electrician tightening by "FEEL" is usually over-tightening 2-3 times the specified torque.

Based on spot checks we made years ago.

I do agree and think you are correct on the smaller torques. The larger breakers with ft pound torques, my experience has been the opposite. On public works projects, the torques have to be witnessed and signed by an onsite inspector. We used to tighten down the breakers by hand and say that has to be the max torque. Some we would get a couple of turns.

Power Tech

I've been doing it for a while.
I used to tight lugs and such just by feeling, but i started getting concerned after finding a number of them getting loose after a while.
-I was just wondering hwo many of you all like to torque them as well?
( I like the one that clicks when done, you twist the handle to adjust)

I've been trying to find a torque screwdriver but i've never seen one.
_does anybody make them?

Sockets are made with straight, Philips, Alan, etc..

brian john

I do agree and think you are correct on the smaller torques. The larger breakers with ft pound torques, my experience has been the opposite. On public works projects, the torques have to be witnessed and signed by an onsite inspector. We used to tighten down the breakers by hand and say that has to be the max torque. Some we would get a couple of turns.

I think a witness by the AHJ is a freaking joke. The average inspector knows no more about torque that the electrician without a torque wrench, and his witnessing this is beyond a waste of taxpayers money. You trust an electrician to do 1000's of installation practices including many installations where the inspector cannot be present to witness torquing.

I have seen inspectors request torquing of factory connections, re-torquing of installed connections and both parties torqued to the wrong values one doing the work and one witnessing it.

Another misguided attempt based upon a seminar someone attended.

brian john

On large frame CBs many electricians use the often available 1" EMT X 12' long adaptor to provide the "CORRECT" torque.

Power Tech

I think a witness by the AHJ is a freaking joke. The average inspector knows no more about torque that the electrician without a torque wrench, and his witnessing this is beyond a waste of taxpayers money. You trust an electrician to do 1000's of installation practices including many installations where the inspector cannot be present to witness torquing.

I have seen inspectors request torquing of factory connections, re-torquing of installed connections and both parties torqued to the wrong values one doing the work and one witnessing it.

Another misguided attempt based upon a seminar someone attended.

I agree, they are a joke. After it is inspected by the onsite inspectors, the city inspectors come in.
Many a contractor has gone out because of public works projects.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I shall bring up the "torque, shake, torque" debate. :)

It's amazing how much a "torqued" connection will be loose after a medium shake.

I agree. Our inspector made us very aware of that fact when a couple of wires just about pulled out of the terminal after he did that!:roll:

Now it's also torque, shake, torque for us!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
On large frame CBs many electricians use the often available 1" EMT X 12' long adaptor to provide the "CORRECT" torque.

They make 12 foot EMT? ;)

I'm sure you meant the electrician's standard 12" long sleeve over the socket wrench. :D

Power Tech

I agree. Our inspector made us very aware of that fact when a couple of wires just about pulled out of the terminal after he did that!:roll:

Now it's also torque, shake, torque for us!

When installing split-bolts, I was taught. Tighten hit a few times and shake the connection then retighten.

Status
Not open for further replies.