Emergency Lighting in Elec/Mech Rooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

garnerm

Guys,

Can someone please refer me to a section of code, if any, that states what the requirements for emergency lighting are in elec/mech rooms?

If there is no code, can I have some opinions on whether or not engineers put emergency lights in these rooms and why? Thanks.

One more question. I know we have to provide emergency lighting in public bathrooms but how about private bathrooms connected to someone's office?

Thank you so much for your reply's!!!:)

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.:)

The requirements for where and when emergency lighting is required comes from the building codes not the NEC.

Typically emergency lighting is not required in an electrical/ mechanical room.

I know we have to provide emergency lighting in public bathrooms but how about private bathrooms connected to someone's office?

Again the location of required emergency lighting is a building code requirement. The IBC (International Building Code) does not specifically require emergency lighting in a public bathroom unless the bathroom has an occupant load of 50 people or more.

Chris

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
If there is no code, can I have some opinions on whether or not engineers put emergency lights in these rooms and why?
I put all of the lights in an electric room on the emergency source. My reasoning is that if something goes wrong with the normal power source, the one group who needs to have lights in order to perform their duties are the electricians who are attempting to restore power.

I put some lights in the mechanical spaces on the emergency source. I do the final lay out after we have a good idea of the locations of the large equipment. My reasoning is that people will need to make their way around a crowded room with many trip and bump hazards, in order to get out of the building. The question of whether the mechanical room gets more than just the egress paths lit with emergency lights depends on whether the owner wants the building to be fully functional in the event of a loss of utility power.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I agree with Chris and Charlie, while not required it's a good idea. Bathrooms are a good idea too, because they get really dark when the lights go out.

raberding

Occupation
Consulting Engineer
EM Ltg in toilet rooms

EM Ltg in toilet rooms

em lighting in public toilet rooms is a local jurisdiction requirement...like Cook Co/Chicago and NYC require it

sandsnow

I disagree with you guys.

I agree it's a good idea to have some other areas on the Emergency system. The Code is specific in saying "Transfer equipment shall supply only emergency loads"

If it is not in the local building code, it does not go on the emergency transfer switch.

There is no such requirement in Article 702. So my advice to designers when this comes up, is to put lighting of selected areas such as electric rooms and bathrooms on the Legally required transfer system.

The reason I do this is should there be that one freak thing that causes a short or ground fault in a circuit that supplies the bathroom and corridor lighting; then we have no corridor lighting when needed.

When I know something is wrong and I let them do it anyway, then I have no defense.

Karl H

Due to my field experience, I always put at least one light(s) on E-power
for the electrical rooms and restrooms. I've been in both locations
when a motor dumped the GFP.:)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
You are not being consistent, Larry.
If it is not in the local building code, it does not go on the emergency transfer switch.
So my advice to designers when this comes up, is to put lighting of selected areas such as electric rooms and bathrooms on the Legally required transfer system.
If you won't, as an inspector, let me put an electric room light on the Emergency System, then you can't let me put it on the Legally Required System either. The NEC says the same thing on both: An emergency load is something declared by a governmental agency as being emergency. A LRS load is something declared by a governmental agency as being LRS. So if the building code doesn't call it emergency, and if it doesn't call it LRS, and I think both are true for electric room lights, then I shouldn't be allow to use either system.

sandsnow

You are not being consistent, Larry.
If you won't, as an inspector, let me put an electric room light on the Emergency System, then you can't let me put it on the Legally Required System either. The NEC says the same thing on both: An emergency load is something declared by a governmental agency as being emergency. A LRS load is something declared by a governmental agency as being LRS. So if the building code doesn't call it emergency, and if it doesn't call it LRS, and I think both are true for electric room lights, then I shouldn't be allow to use either system.

I'm just trying to follow the Code as written. There doesn't seem to be anything in 701 to prohibit optional standby loads on the legally required standby system.

The words in section 700.6(D) do not appear in 701.

Section 701.2 defines the loads as you state, but then goes on to state: "These systems are intended to automatically supply power to selected loads (other than those classed as emergency systems) in the event of failure of the normal source.

I wish the above stated: "...intended to automatically supply power to only legally required standby loads..." but it does not.

Section 701.10 states: The legally required standby system wiring shall be permitted to occupy the same raceway, cables, boxes, and cabinets with general wiring.

The above tells me I can bring a general wiring circuit into a cabinet containing a legally required system panelboard. It doesn't say I can nor does it say I can't connect it to one of the circuit breakers on that panelboard.

I love to have three seperate transfer switches for all three systems, but I see the Code falling short in allowing me to require it.

ptrip

I disagree with you guys.

I agree it's a good idea to have some other areas on the Emergency system. The Code is specific in saying "Transfer equipment shall supply only emergency loads"

There is no such requirement in Article 702. So my advice to designers when this comes up, is to put lighting of selected areas such as electric rooms and bathrooms on the Legally required transfer system.

The reason I do this is should there be that one freak thing that causes a short or ground fault in a circuit that supplies the bathroom and corridor lighting; then we have no corridor lighting when needed.

When I know something is wrong and I let them do it anyway, then I have no defense.

I'm just trying to follow the Code as written. There doesn't seem to be anything in 701 to prohibit optional standby loads on the legally required standby system.

The words in section 700.6(D) do not appear in 701.

Section 701.2 defines the loads as you state, but then goes on to state: "These systems are intended to automatically supply power to selected loads (other than those classed as emergency systems) in the event of failure of the normal source.

I wish the above stated: "...intended to automatically supply power to only legally required standby loads..." but it does not.

Section 701.10 states: The legally required standby system wiring shall be permitted to occupy the same raceway, cables, boxes, and cabinets with general wiring.

The above tells me I can bring a general wiring circuit into a cabinet containing a legally required system panelboard. It doesn't say I can nor does it say I can't connect it to one of the circuit breakers on that panelboard.

I love to have three seperate transfer switches for all three systems, but I see the Code falling short in allowing me to require it.

My designs that contain a generator (currently 100%) have two separate ATS's and resulting emergency systems. There's the "Life Safety" branch which provides power to all things required for Life Safety including emergency and egress lighting and the Fire Alarm System. I term the other branch "Emergency", which powers the security systems (unless the operation of the security system directly influences the operation of door openers and thus Life Safety), and the other various things the Owner would like on a back up generator such as: incidental heat and pumps to keep pipes from freezing, data UPS systems, walk in coolers/freezers, etc.

My knuckles haven't been slapped by anyone yet ... am I on the right track?

... and to the OP ... I do put an EM light (whether generator powered or battery powered) in group restrooms and mechanical spaces with equipment. Single bathrooms I do not, unless required by a local code. For both the RR and the Mech Rm ... I do it for ease of exit from the room during a power outage. Code requirement or not it's good design practice.

rr

My designs that contain a generator (currently 100%) have two separate ATS's and resulting emergency systems. There's the "Life Safety" branch which provides power to all things required for Life Safety including emergency and egress lighting and the Fire Alarm System. I term the other branch "Emergency", which powers the security systems (unless the operation of the security system directly influences the operation of door openers and thus Life Safety), and the other various things the Owner would like on a back up generator such as: incidental heat and pumps to keep pipes from freezing, data UPS systems, walk in coolers/freezers, etc.

You're on the right track. That's how I design my buildings. Separate transfer switch for Emergency systems only. I think the gray area is what defines Article 701 and 702. That appears to be a AHJ issue.

sandsnow

... and to the OP ... I do put an EM light (whether generator powered or battery powered) in group restrooms and mechanical spaces with equipment. Single bathrooms I do not, unless required by a local code. For both the RR and the Mech Rm ... I do it for ease of exit from the room during a power outage. Code requirement or not it's good design practice.

I am a stickler for terminology. The NEC does not use Life Safety Branch except in Health Care Facilities. In my eyes you would have an Emergency System and an Optional Satandby System.

I am not sure what a door opener is. Do you mean a hold open device? Since a hold open fail in the closed position, there is no reason save convenience to have them on the generator.

I would write a correction for the bath and electric room lighting.

Other than that, yes you are on the right track.

north star

`
While Emergency lights are not 'required' by code to be installed in the
electrical/mechancal rooms, our AHJ "requests" them in the interest of
providing lighting to an area with electrically charged parts and
surfaces.

Also, emergency lights ARE required in Accessibly equipped
restrooms as part of the Means of Egress. In the other restrooms,
as a common courtesy and as an aid to ending any restroom
activities, it just makes sense to assist in the hygiene practices of
someone left stranded on the loo when it goes completely dark.
We haven't been turned down yet when we have requested these
items to be installed on a project, ...whether they are code
required or not! We DO try to have a common sense approach,
as well as, the code required approach to each project. It
may not always seem like that, but that is our intent.

`

sandsnow

Of course if your AHJ requests it, then you are going to do it.

Where is the requirement for accessible restrooms to have emergency lighting? I have never heard of that.

I'm not saying that it is not a good idea to back up the lighting in either place. Just not with the emergency system.

iwire

Staff member
I am a stickler for terminology. The NEC does not use Life Safety Branch except in Health Care Facilities. In my eyes you would have an Emergency System and an Optional Satandby System.

I agree and strongly urge anyone creating designs to apply the terminology to the systems as the NEC spells them out in 700.1, 701.1 and 702.1. If you start calling 'optional standby loads' 'emergency' the price of the bids will likely rise as contractors plan on keeping them separate from all other wiring.

Karl H

I agree and strongly urge anyone creating designs to apply the terminology to the systems as the NEC spells them out in 700.1, 701.1 and 702.1. If you start calling 'optional standby loads' 'emergency' the price of the bids will likely rise as contractors plan on keeping them separate from all other wiring.

This has been my argument for years. Optional standby isn't the same as
Legally Required Standby Systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.