Florida State Exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbione

I am taking the Florida State Unlimited exam given by Pearson Vue in Tampa in a few weeks. A couple of things I'm curious about...
1) How thoroughly do they check the books for hand-written notes? I have just a few light hand-written pencil notes. Just some basic formulas & reminders.
2) In addition to the Mike Holt exam prep book I have also been using Tom Holt's book of calculations. I think Tom may have gone off the deep end - his calculation questions are insanely difficult and he will incorporate several calculations into a single question. (Has anyone else used this book?)
I do fine with the Mike Holt calculation questions. What should I expect on the exam?
Any other general advise on the exam would be greatly appreciated.

mcclary's electrical

In VA, they shake the book by the binder to check for loose paper. Then they lay in down and flip front to back a couple of times. I don't they will see small notes. Especially if done lighly in pencil. Not sure about FL.

westernexplorer

I took the Florida Unlimited last year and I can tell you, they checked my books. Also, if you find any calculations in Tom Henry's or Mike Holt's books to be difficult, then you may not be ready for this exam.

bphgravity

1. Normal highlights and notes which you would expect to see in a used code book should be acceptable. Remove any sticky notes and loose paper. Give the proctors no reason to look too closely.

2. I am surprised you are having problems with the Tom Henry materials rather than the Mike Holt stuff. It's usually the other way around. Don't get too caught up in any one particular calculation or code question. While practicing with calculations and finding answers to questions is valuable exam prep, I find people tend to get too fixated on what questions they may see and every little detail rather than actually learning how to use the code in general and how to perform a calculation in general. No one question on the exam sould make or break your exam, so don't get too worked up over any one question or calculation type.

ohmhead

I am taking the Florida State Unlimited exam given by Pearson Vue in Tampa in a few weeks. A couple of things I'm curious about...
1) How thoroughly do they check the books for hand-written notes? I have just a few light hand-written pencil notes. Just some basic formulas & reminders.
2) In addition to the Mike Holt exam prep book I have also been using Tom Holt's book of calculations. I think Tom may have gone off the deep end - his calculation questions are insanely difficult and he will incorporate several calculations into a single question. (Has anyone else used this book?)
I do fine with the Mike Holt calculation questions. What should I expect on the exam?
Any other general advise on the exam would be greatly appreciated.

Well down south they dont shake the books we flip thur them real slow .

There going to look at everyones books flipping thur the pages no notes no formulas if there in your book they make you erase or if in pen your going to take that page out or go home no test.

If they see a note or formula during the test that they missed your out the door .

Read your letter of exam instructions for what you can bring it says you can bring the Electricians Hand Book it has every formula and its aloud.

I used two books one for calculations and one for the questions this way the less tabs in each book installed are easy to find . One book for each part of the test so you can do what you need to do faster .

Hey good luck on your test

nyerinfl

When I tested they just did a quick flip through the book. There are something like 15 books that you should have with you on the unlimited test, it would take them forever to check everyones. Beside it didn't seem like that big a deal anyway. I found the calculations on the test to be very easy, just to see if you know basic formulas. BTW since when is the test in Tampa?

ohmhead

Well whats the difference between a masters or this unlimited test never heard of it ? Is this not just a electrical test why do you need 15 books ?

westernexplorer

Well whats the difference between a masters or this unlimited test never heard of it ? Is this not just a electrical test why do you need 15 books ?

The Florida Unlimited Electrical Contractors exam is the STATE of Florida's Master Electrical License. This license allows you to qualify an Electrical Contracting Business ANTWHERE in the State of Florida, without restrictions on the type or scope of work you would like to perform.

The Florida Unlimited Electrical Exam has everything from Fire Alarm, Security Systems, Lightning protection systems, ect.... This is why they allow 15 or so books for the exam.....because it's an Unlimited License....

If you take the County Master Electrical Exam you will be restricted to the County that issued the license, also you will not be allowed to perform alarm related work.

ohmhead

The Florida Unlimited Electrical Contractors exam is the STATE of Florida's Master Electrical License. This license allows you to qualify an Electrical Contracting Business ANTWHERE in the State of Florida, without restrictions on the type or scope of work you would like to perform.

The Florida Unlimited Electrical Exam has everything from Fire Alarm, Security Systems, Lightning protection systems, ect.... This is why they allow 15 or so books for the exam.....because it's an Unlimited License....

If you take the County Master Electrical Exam you will be restricted to the County that issued the license, also you will not be allowed to perform alarm related work.

Well thanks its been a few years did not know one could do it all i guess you need 15 books how long is the test ?

Must be more questions you would think and more of a time frame.

Florida Requirements for EC

Florida Requirements for EC

Does anyone know what other requirements there are fro the Florida EC License? Someone told me they do a credit check. You have to have a certain amount of assets set aside to become a EC. Also Will they accept a business certificate showing 11 years as an electrical contractor in N.Y. I have Masters licenses that date back to 1991. Also a notarized letter from AHJ stating 10 years of satisfactory inspections from them. Thanks, Scott

jrannis

Does anyone know what other requirements there are fro the Florida EC License? Someone told me they do a credit check. You have to have a certain amount of assets set aside to become a EC. Also Will they accept a business certificate showing 11 years as an electrical contractor in N.Y. I have Masters licenses that date back to 1991. Also a notarized letter from AHJ stating 10 years of satisfactory inspections from them. Thanks, Scott

https://www.myfloridalicense.com/Ch...ctCode=1010&clientCode=0801&XACT_DEFN_ID=3685

Endorsement Information from the myflorida.com website:

Certified Electrical Contractor - Endorsement
This application is used by individuals that are licensed in Georgia, North Carolina or California and want to become licensed in Florida as a Certified Electrical Contractor.

Application Requirements:
DEFINITIONS: Endorsement is licensure of individuals who hold a substantially equivalent license in another state and would like to become licensed in Florida based on their out-of-state license. Endorsement is similar to reciprocity; however, it is not automatic and it requires board approval.

EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: The required experience must include at least 40% of work that is in 3-phase services. You must demonstrate you meet one of the experience requirements set forth in the instruction pages of the application.
PERSONAL FINANCIAL/CREDIT: You must provide a personal credit report and a personal financial statement demonstrating a positive net worth.
Business FINANCIAL/CREDIT: You must provide a Business Credit Report, Business Financial Statement showing a net worth of at least $10,000, Statement of Bondability, Letter of Financial Responsibility from a bank verifying the applicant can sign checks on the business account and Verification of Supervising Employee Status if not an officer.
Out-of-State License: You must provide proof you hold one of the following licenses and that you took and passed that state's examination: North Carolina Unlimited, California Electrical C-10 License, Georgia Class II Unrestricted and Low Voltage Unlimited (Must Hold Both Georgia Licenses To Be Eligible).
FEE: You must submit an application fee of $500.00. Make check payable to the Department of Business and Professional Regulation.
APPLICATION: Complete the application by clicking on the "Online Services" link or the "Printable Application" link at the bottom of the page.

MORE INFORMATION: Learn more about this profession's application requirements (use the back button or arrow to return to this page).

If you have questions or need assistance in completing this application, please call the Customer Contact Center at 850-487-1395.

Apply Using Online Services

westernexplorer

Plan on the process taking atleast a year....maybe a little sooner or later, but not much. The process to become State Certified is exhausting for many applicants.

Jim Shorts

I took the Florida Unrestricted exam recently and if you are planning on calculations you will be disappointed. There are very few calculations and they are pretty basic. You need to know how to use the books and the NEC. Also need to be able to read plans. Typical question and I am not making this up. A concrete truck arrives on a job site, how many turns of the drum before the concrete is no good?

I took the Florida Unrestricted exam recently and if you are planning on calculations you will be disappointed. There are very few calculations and they are pretty basic. You need to know how to use the books and the NEC. Also need to be able to read plans. Typical question and I am not making this up. A concrete truck arrives on a job site, how many turns of the drum before the concrete is no good?

This is true of most electrical licensing tests. Calculations are good to know, but not the reason you will pass or fail an exam. Knowing the code book is the key to success.
As in owning a restaurant, Location, Location, Location... If you know the location of most material, the test will actually be fun.;)

jrannis

And the answer is? (Please show us the calculation):)

westernexplorer

I call bull on the statement above......... That type of question has not been on any electrical exam I have ever taken and I have taken State and Local Electrical Exams in 11 States..........

robbione

Concrete question on exam

Concrete question on exam

I can verify that the list of reference books for the Florida State Unlimited exam includes "Design & Control of Concrete Mixtures" and I was told to expect at least 1 concrete question on the test.
The real dilemma is... do I buy the $80 book for the 1 question???

Jim Shorts

1 or 2 questions on concrete. I am not making that up and the answer is 300. I did not write the test. I have taken master and electrical contractor exams in at least 20 jurisdictions and Florida is the only place you will find concrete questions. Want another?

westernexplorer

1 or 2 questions on concrete. I am not making that up and the answer is 300. I did not write the test. I have taken master and electrical contractor exams in at least 20 jurisdictions and Florida is the only place you will find concrete questions. Want another?

I know the book is a listed reference allowed to be used during the exam. I'm saying that I have never seen a question like that. I took the State Certification Exam and it was not on my test, now I had a test question about overload protection for a 3 phase motor driving a concrete mixer. But nothing like the question you stated. I guess I was not one of the lucky ones......LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.