Troffers and a high structure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any thoughts on how to tie off troffers when the structural ceiling is way above the grid line? I haven't done an accurate measurement but it looks like in one area there'll be about 20' between the structure and the light. The only thought I've had so far is to pre-hang jack chain now.

Any other ideas? Do you think the ceiling guys might be interested? If so what would be a fair cost for this? There are only 9 lights.

Chenley

Last job we did had a drop ceiling 11' below the roof trusses. We used a 1-man lift (max height of 30'), if you pop out one 4' section of grid the 1-man lift will fit in the 4'x4' hole in the grid.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Fountaineblue in Vegas, we had a 42' ceiling in the grand ballrooms, and kitchens. We just shot wires like the ceiling guys did. Met the requirements for Vegas. You may want to take pictures (document), because unce the grid is in, and some clown used your wires, or something else happened, you have a way of recovering cost.

KevinVost

Fountaineblue in Vegas, we had a 42' ceiling in the grand ballrooms, and kitchens. We just shot wires like the ceiling guys did. Met the requirements for Vegas. You may want to take pictures (document), because unce the grid is in, and some clown used your wires, or something else happened, you have a way of recovering cost.

In addition, alot of contractors around here will paint thier ceiling wires a specific color (prior to installing them) to ID them, no questions as to who they belong to once they are in use.

ksmith846

In addition, alot of contractors around here will paint thier ceiling wires a specific color (prior to installing them) to ID them, no questions as to who they belong to once they are in use.

They do have to be identified.........especially if you install ceiling wires to the ceiling for supporting MC cables etc.....they must be identified as your wires. CADDY even makes a yellow clip for attiching the wire to the grid which also works as your identification.

e57

Put it in the cieling guys contract - despite offers of beer - most contractors want money.... :roll: Imagine your clients offing the JW in the field beer for free stuff....

iwire

Staff member
I for one have no problem providing a case of beer to get some free help, but we would just do our own drops prior to the grid going in.

growler

Do you think the ceiling guys might be interested? If so what would be a fair cost for this? There are only 9 lights.

Sure they would but it's going to cost more than a case of beer or $50.
That's not even going to cover the cost of the anchors, the shot and the wire. You are probably going to need a few wires just to hang the MC from so don't forget about them.

This is going to save you quite a bit of time so what's it worth? :confused:

cpal

They do have to be identified.........especially if you install ceiling wires to the ceiling for supporting MC cables etc.....they must be identified as your wires. CADDY even makes a yellow clip for attiching the wire to the grid which also works as your identification.

Did the OP indicate that this is a fire rated assembly, or a non fire rated??

iwire

Staff member
Sure they would but it's going to cost more than a case of beer or $50.
That's not even going to cover the cost of the anchors, the shot and the wire. You are probably going to need a few wires just to hang the MC from so don't forget about them.

Well ..... I guess that depends on who is getting the beer or $50. ;)

I got more than a months use of a nice forklift anytime I needed it for a cold 30 pack.

It is a mixed bag of a ceiling. The true structure is actually wood framed. Hanging down from that about 10' is an old plaster ceiling that is hung from the structure. Some of lights line up with the structural, some with the plaster. This new room is being built immediately adjacent to another room (will form one large room when all is done) with the same set up so it doesn't look like they all need to go to the top. Existing lights are supported from the plaster.

Some of the comments here are what I was looking for. If it is a small job for a ceiling guy to throw in a few extra wires than I am all about job site bartering. If it is significantly more work than I certainly don't want to cheat anybody. I just don't know what it worth to someone who does this all the time. How many times have you replaced a cord cap on someone's cord and were a hero because they were confused but you did while chatting about the weekend?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The NEC only requires the electrical support wires used in a fire rated ceiling assembly to be identified. 300.11

ksmith846

That sounds like a good way to run a business, right out of business.

Let's see $50 to the ceiling guy..........cost $50....he is already installing wires and he will be quick at adding more for my fixtures and we will still connect them to the fixture ourselves.

My guys @ $32/hour (break even cost) hanging ceiling wires and not their forte........cost on typical job for me about $256......

Makes business sense to me....saved $200 dollars.....4 more jobs worth of ceiling wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.