Distance between ug pull boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am pulling 3 400mcm and 1 2/0 ground thhn in one 4" conduit, with a total of 3 conduits (with 4 conductors) over 320' for a 1000A /1ph/240v panel. Would like to use only one pull box (N48) in the middle to try and eliminate any junctions. I know this will require me to pull extra wire through the box or start in the middle and pull off the rest to refeed back into conduit and to the end. Any suggestions? Would hate for a junction to go bad... under 10' of snow.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Why put in a lot of extra money and time into this U/G if not neccesary? As long as your only doing two 90's and a small kick, it should go pretty smooth. I've done 700' + runs before without a problem.

Mike Goetz

Mike Goetz

If you do set a pull-box then put a pulley at that point and set up your wire at one end of your conduit and set your tugger or whatever pulling means at the other end. This will eliminate time spent trying to pull the conduit off the reel to back feed into the conduit system. Make sure that you don't go over 360 degree's of conduit bends before you set a junction box.

Thanks fellas! I only have a 90 at the beginning and at the end so it should be fairly easy... also pulling downhill!!! I esp. like the idea of the pully in a pull box!!! Thanks again!

Mike01

tension

tension

as indicated above 320' should not be a probelm provided there are not alot of bends / kicks, etc. however be sure that you do not exceed the manufacturers pulling tensions with whatever method you are using to pull the cable.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
as indicated above 320' should not be a probelm provided there are not alot of bends / kicks, etc. however be sure that you do not exceed the manufacturers pulling tensions with whatever method you are using to pull the cable.
It is a rare pull where the pulling tension is the limiting factor. On any pull with a bend at the pulling end, the sidewall pressure will be a limiting factor long before the pulling tension is....unless you are using a very very large radius bend.

Status
Not open for further replies.