Metal Box Grounding Exceptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What is type of conduit used? For metallic conduit with metal boxes the unbroken conductors can pass through the box without connection of the EGC to the box. 250.148

hillbilly

Metal boxes must be bonded.

As infinity said, if they are bonded by a acceptable wiring method (metal conduit or cable), the grounding conductors passing thru need not be bonded to the box.....unless......

..If grounding conductor(s) are ran with the circuit(s), regardless the type of conduit used, and any of the grounding conductors are spliced within, or attach to equipment within the box (switches, receptacles, etc.) the spliced grounding conductors must be bonded together and to the box.

Read 250.148 (2005).

Seems redundant, but that's what it says to me.

My solution....If I have a metal box that is piped with PVC (or other non-grounding type) conduit or cable, I will use the largest grounding conductor passing thru the box to bond the box, and let the rest of the (un-spliced) grounding conductors pass through without splice.

In my opinion, this is what the code requires.

steve

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
..If grounding conductor(s) are ran with the circuit(s), regardless the type of conduit used, and any of the grounding conductors are spliced within, or attach to equipment within the box (switches, receptacles, etc.) the spliced grounding conductors must be bonded together and to the box.
If I'm not mistaken, it says that if the circuit conductors are spliced within the box, it must be bonded via the EGC, even if it isn't spliced.

Status
Not open for further replies.