Using variable transformers in parallel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to build a variac that will be able to produce 350 A. Can I place two sets of three phase transformers in parallel so that together they will deliver more current?
Current division is problem,can I place an inductor in series on each phase, that is wound around the same core, to ensure current division. If so, how?

Besoeker

I want to build a variac that will be able to produce 350 A. Can I place two sets of three phase transformers in parallel so that together they will deliver more current?
Current division is problem,can I place an inductor in series on each phase, that is wound around the same core, to ensure current division. If so, how?
It's not something I would recommend. Getting the current to balance would, as RC said in the previous post, be something of a challenge regardless of whether it would comply with regulations.

If you really wanted to do it, I suppose you could design a closed loop system with a master-slave arrangement. The variacs would need to be motorised and you'd need current sensing (for both magnitude and phase) on the output of both. The control system would adjust the slave to make its output current match that of the master........

How badly did you want that 350A?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
There are two special considerations that come into play, when you parallel transformers. Yes it can be done; it also can be dangerous.

One issue is that you are not only placing two voltage sources in parallel (and this is why you can get more current). You are also placing in parallel the two impedances internal to the two transformers. Look at the model of a transformer: a voltage source in series with an impedance. Put two of the impedances in parallel, and the net impedance goes down by half. In the event of a downstream fault (e.g., a short circuit on the load side of the parallel transformers), the amount of current they can feed into the fault will double. Therefore, you would have to make sure that the downstream components are rated to handle the higher value of fault current.

The other issue is that in the event of a fault internal to one transformer, the other transformer will feed current into the fault point. If you have connected the two secondary sides directly to each other, then there is nothing to stop that fault current from flowing forever (or until something burns down). Therefore, when two or more transformers are connected in parallel (a configuration known as a ?spot network?), we have to provide what is called a ?network protector.? This consists of a circuit breaker immediately downstream of each transformer (before the point at which they are connected together), and an electronics package that will sense current flowing ?backwards? (i.e., into a transformer, instead of out from it), and cause the breaker to trip (to terminate the event).

Welcome to the forum.

topgone

At what voltage do you expect to deliver this 350A?

brian john

They make them on a common shaft. I do believe.

ohmhead

Well been there done that iam sure you have heard that one many times but heres a bit of old advise or maybe a caution .

Some three phase transformers can be and some can not be .

The internal polarities of each coil internally and the common phase coil windings of turns out of each turn magnetically & voltage wise out of phase due to internal manufacture they must be the same if any voltage difference is found between common same phase like A phase to A phase of different transformers this now becomes a problem .

Its called arc fault !http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt195/stringking/rq_a800-2-1-1-1.gif

Last edited:

beanland

What are you really trying to do?

What are you really trying to do?

What voltage and current are you trying to obtain? If you want 350A @ 48V, then a variac driving a step-down transformer is one option. If you want 480V 3-phase 350A, and want to be able to vary it from zero to 480V, you will need three 100kVA variacs. If you want 480V but need to vary it by only +/-10%, then a variac driving a series transformer is the best, you only need three 10kVA units.

Status
Not open for further replies.