LFMC in a planter under 8" of dirt

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobsherwood

The electrical inspector is not allowing contractors to use LFMC in planters for lighting. I have not contacted him yet so I don't know why. I am looking in the code to see minimum cover for LFMC and can not find it. Can anyone point me in the right direction or does anyone know why he might have a problem with this? Thank you!

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
The electrical inspector is not allowing contractors to use LFMC in planters for lighting. I have not contacted him yet so I don't know why. I am looking in the code to see minimum cover for LFMC and can not find it. Can anyone point me in the right direction or does anyone know why he might have a problem with this? Thank you!

Is this low voltage? Table 300.5, Column 5 states that 6" of cover is all that's required. If the LFMC is rated for DB, I don't see what article he could use to not allow this. If these lights are line voltage, Table 300.5, Column 4 would probably be his answer.

cadpoint

Seems like your in with 350.10(3), but your probably OOL with all of 350.30 considered! Did You secure it? :-?
Why only 8", this directly from the bottom then where's that circuit go?
Don't know, let us know! :D

bobsherwood

These planters are at the museum front porch. Big ole boxes. Power comes in from the parking garage just below the porch. Then daisy chain luminarie to luminarie. Being direct buried, I did not think it needed securing. There will only be 8" of soil in these "special" planters.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
JMO but this installation does not qualify under 300.5. It is not "underground" (as I perceive it) and therefore the min cover requirement do not apply.
IF I were the inspector I would not require you to follow table 300.5 cover requirements in a planter. The danger to conduit that is present when it is in the ground below grade (such as jabbing a shovel into it) are no longer present in an 8 inch planter... I mean come on!

celtic

JMO but this installation does not qualify under 300.5. It is not "underground" (as I perceive it) and therefore the min cover requirement do not apply.
IF I were the inspector I would not require you to follow table 300.5 cover requirements in a planter. The danger to conduit that is present when it is in the ground below grade (such as jabbing a shovel into it) are no longer present in an 8 inch planter... I mean come on!

While I agree with you...barring a 90.4 [paragraph #2].....it says what it says and well common sense? It ain't worth a penny anymore :D

Safety is the reason the NEC exists.
Not all installations are "normal", and some take some thinking out of the box.

This installation of the LFMC installed inside the planter is somewhat different.
I would not qualify it as an underground installation, requiring the use of Table 300.5

So, safety wise, is it safe?

It is not permitted to be installed where subject to physical damage, something that is subjective and judged by the inspector of record.

If it is not subject to physical damage, I would say it is not an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.