Bare Cable in RGS bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

ungrecco

NYC code:

When running a bare ground conductor in RGS (to protect from mechanical damage) along exposed building steel between floors (in mechanical rooms), is it necessary to bond the conduit to building steel?

Note: At each level, there is a break in the conduit where a pig tail off the cable is bonded to steel, within the floor slab.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I have no knowledge of NYC Code, but if that conductor is a grounding electrode conductor I would think 250.64(F) would require you to bond the conduit to the conductor.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You mean something like this disaster?

IMG_0629.JPG

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is that a grounded coat hanger I see attached to the bus?:cool:

IMG_0629.JPG

Yup, it a caddy cable hanger that someone installed there to hang their knapsack on. Kept their lunch off of the floor and away from the rats. There are definitely violations in this photo. :)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Roger,
What is the purpose of the grounding system in the photo? If it is not a grounding electrode conductor are grounding bushings required by the NEC?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Don, I may very well be wrong but it appears to be a common GES however, if they are not GEC's they would not need to be bonded to the raceway.

What would you guess this to be?

Roger

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Roger,
What is the purpose of the grounding system in the photo? If it is not a grounding electrode conductor are grounding bushings required by the NEC?

Actually this was a 500 kcmil common grounding electrode riser for connection of multiple transformers located through out the building.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Actually this was a 500 kcmil common grounding electrode riser for connection of multiple transformers located through out the building.

That's exactly what it looked like to me.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.