AFCI protection on GFI circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

acwservices

I'm a little confused over 210.12 of the 2008 NEC. It specifically states "All 120-volt, single phase, 15 and 20 amp branch circuits.....shall be protected by a listed arc-fault circuit interrupter." There are two exceptions, but neither address if the circuit is already protected by a GFCI. My question is- are the circuits that require GFCI protection, such as the kitchen sabc, required to also have AFCI protection? I thought they were since 210.12 states ALL, however on page 39 of Mike Holts book titled "Changes to the NEC 2008," MH states that "the 2008 NEC requirement does not require AFCI protection in rooms or areas where GFCI protection of receptacle outlets is required."

C3PO

(B) Dwelling Units. All 120-volt, single phase, 15- and 20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets installed in dwelling unit family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways, or similar rooms or areas shall be protected by a listed arc-fault circuit interrupter, combination-type, installed to provide protection of the branch circuit

You are only required to have AFCI protection on the areas list in 210.12(B)

rcarroll

Right, there are a few areas that don't require AFCI protection. Now, if you use a kitchen SABC & extend it into the dining room receps, you will be required to have the dining room receps AFCI protected as well as the kitchen counter top receps GFCI protected.

Clear as mud? :)

acwservices

Thanks, I just went back and read (B) again. I guess I stopped reading the first time when I got to the word "ALL". I now see that bathrooms, kitchens, garages, and outside recepts are not included.

jb_04

I was wondering about this in dining rooms. If one feeds the dining off a countertop, then one will have both afci and gfci?

Or will we be forced to hit the dining seperate?

C3PO

I was wondering about this in dining rooms. If one feeds the dining off a countertop, then one will have both afci and gfci?

Or will we be forced to hit the dining seperate?

You are correct then that circuit would have to be both.

rcarroll

Yeah, the code says similar area. The ajh could say kitchen is a similar area to the dining. especially the lighting outlets.

I'd politely tell the ahj he/she is wrong if requiring kitchen lighting outlets to be AFCI protected. IMO, if the code wanted them protected, it would be stated as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.