Receptacles in residential occupancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
A receptacle can be located 5?' above the floor and still meet the requirements of 210.52.

210.52 Dwelling Unit Receptacle Outlets.
This section provides requirements for 125-volt, 15- and 20-ampere receptacle outlets. The receptacles required by this section shall be in addition to any receptacle that is:
(1) Part of a luminaire or appliance, or
(2) Controlled by a wall switch in accordance with 210.70(A)(1), Exception No. 1, or
(3) Located within cabinets or cupboards, or
(4) Located more than 1.7 m (5? ft) above the floor

Let me rephrase the question, I have a family room approx 30 feet by 30 feet, 2 or more of the receptacles (at 5 feet) may or may not be used for a tv, if a tv is placed in front of one of the receptacles before I get a final inspection am I looking for a problem and is a tv considered an appliance.

SEO

That's correct. You might have an issue with the designer but if you follow 210.52 as Chris stated you could.

I know it sounds like a simple question, most customers have, in normal applications, floor lamps, tv's, stero equip plugged into outlets and we have no issues. This customer wants to mount tv's on the wall install lighted wall signs and wall mounted luminaires all have cord caps, What I am getting at is if a tv or wall sign is mounted on a wall with receptacles at 5' does code still consider this as a normal install since all equip has cord caps even though equip is mounted in front of the receptacles and would have to be removed to access receptacles. Are they considered appliances, and permanant fixtures.

ceb58

So theoreticaly I can place all my receptacles at 5' and still meet spacing requirements?

As long as you stay under the 5 1/2 ft.

210.52 Dwelling Unit Receptacle Outlets.
This section provides requirements for 125-volt, 15- and 20-ampere receptacle outlets. The receptacles required by this section shall be in addition to any receptacle that is:
(1) Part of a luminaire or appliance, or
(2) Controlled by a wall switch in accordance with 210.70(A)(1), Exception No. 1, or
(3) Located within cabinets or cupboards, or
(4) Located more than 1.7 m (5? ft) above the floor

The way I read 250.52 is if the recpt. is more than 5 1/2ft it could not be counted for spacing requirements.

cadpoint

I know this is just a clarification question, and a stretch!

Is this only for a private residence? If other you might call the AHJ and ask what they say with respects to the ADA! Even future sell ablity might come into play. Somepeople total hate looking at a receptacle!

Frankly I like mine higher like 20" inches, I can only see it raising higher as we age, 14" is just low anymore...

I know this is just a clarification question, and a stretch!

Is this only for a private residence? If other you might call the AHJ and ask what they say with respects to the ADA! Even future sell ablity might come into play. Somepeople total hate looking at a receptacle!

Frankly I like mine higher like 20" inches, I can only see it raising higher as we age, 14" is just low anymore...

Yes, this is a private residence, but I seem to be coming across these types of installs more and more and seems that every one has there own opinion on what is acceptable. I would like to get as many opinions as possible and maybe get a standard in place.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Is it going to kill you to install one more receptacle lower on the wall? How convenient is it going to be to plug something in when you have to reach up behind a TV?

I'm not sure what you're really wanting to know. You can place receptacles as high as you want to (no code limit for height). That would even be a good idea when you have a bunch of stuff mounted on the wall and you want to keep the cords out of the way. But if they are too high, they won't count towards the ones you must have every 12'.

So your install may be code compliant, but it may suck for the owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.