Tar tite when taped

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I have a situation where a 1?" threadless compression coupling for RMC will end up in a pitch pan. The hot mop kettle tar will be poured into this pitch pan at over 400?F. This conduit also has the conductors installed. I'm not very comfortable with this. Can someone ease my mind?

nakulak

probably not a good place for a cplng. wrap it with heavy alum foil or light flashing and tie wire it if you are worried. been a long time since I boiled tar but 350 to 375 sticks in my mind ? (if you boil it too hot the tar ignites)

nakulak

Unless this is a huuuuuuuge pitch pocket, I can't imagine the conductors in the pipe getting heated up that much ? (I think he's worried about the tar getting in the pipe and on the conductors and melting the insulation that way ?)

chris kennedy

Occupation
Is it possible to eliminate the tar (pitch)pocket, and install a "Witches hat"?

Here is the application. The mechanical contractor finished raising the copper yesterday. Where the 90 comes out of the deck, I will install another 90 to get up off the deck. Pitch pan will surrond the RMC and copper with a custom goose neck enclosure over the whole mess.

DOHLantanaroof008.jpg

cadpoint

I won't dance with that!
You need the owner to realize thats not your style.
If this is a rubber mate there might be warrenty issues, (can't tell) get or talk to a roofer otherwise just the same.

Cushioned Unistrut is what you need and maybe an EL or a pullbox! I would like to install outside any cover structure.

Last edited:

chris kennedy

Occupation
Can you remove the conductors and reinstall them after the pour is made?

Sure, I can do anything.:grin: But this is the gutter in the basement that is where the 1?" originates, I don't have time to deal with it. I did give them a price to get rid of this and install a panel on the roof, but right now I'm racin the roofers.

DOHLantanaroof009.jpg

LJSMITH1

Why not get a 6" deep Hoffman Nema 4X box and mount it in a pitch pocket the roof, then back feed it with your conduit? Have the roofers pour a 1" deep tar pool and then punch as many conduit entries as you need on the side of the box. The box is waterproof, and can be accessed as needed.

chris kennedy

Occupation
Why not get a 6" deep Hoffman Nema 4X box and mount it in a pitch pocket the roof, then back feed it with your conduit? Have the roofers pour a 1" deep tar pool and then punch as many conduit entries as you need on the side of the box. The box is waterproof, and can be accessed as needed.

The after pictures will be posted Tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.