Residential Main Disconnect Photo Fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivsenroute

Let us forget for a moment that this particular main disconnect is in a crawlspace and focus on the actual issues inside the main disconnect. The bare copper is for the GEC as you probably already assumed. We do not connect the GEC to the meter base enclosure in this area so that will not be an issue either.

This comes from a 200A OH service and this disco goes to the main panel subfeed.

This is what I found and after we get some comments I will explain what was done by the "electrician" to fix it.

What violations do you see under the 2005 NEC?
IMG_5838.JPG

IMG_5839.JPG

IMG_5840.JPG

cpal

110.3(B), 110.14 and 300.4(F).

I'm not sure about the ins bushing that looks like cable

Where raceways contain 4 AWG or larger insulated circuit conductors and these conductors enter a cabinet, box, enclosure, or raceway, the conductors shall be protected by a substantial fitting providing a smoothly rounded insulating surface, unless the conductors are separated from the fitting or raceway by substantial insulating material that is securely fastened in place.

1. Cut strands - EGC
2. GEC, improper termination

It is not necessary to have a bonding bushing on the cable/fitting, as already posted.

Also, the disconnect in the crawl space may be permitted based on 110.26(E) Exception

The MBJ may be part of the disconnect, if not I cannot see it.

ivsenroute

What I called out
1) There is no bond screw or other method present.
2) Two wires in a lug only rated for one
3) Cut wires on the SE cable assembly that goes to the sub-feed panel.

Soon I will share his "fix"

growler

This is what I found and after we get some comments I will explain what was done by the "electrician" to fix it.

Did this "electrician" know that this work was going to be inspected and actually thought it would pass?

I know of a few "jack-legs" that will do work like this but they work under the radar and really don't expect it to pass inspection ( they don't get inspections ).

I'm sure the "Fix" will be interesting or amusing to say the least.

electricmanscott

That is just sad. You'd have to be a real schmuck to make that installation.

Can;t wait to see the fix. My guess is wirenuts or a reduced breaker size to compensate for the "smaller" wire.

mark32

The suspense is killing me, I bet the guy's fix is just as laughable as the original install is. I'm going to load up the boat for tomorrow and then eat dinner, I hope ivsenroute posts the fix by then :)

ivsenroute

The "fix" was as follows:

* A new lug was installed in the hole on the left side to attach the GEC (paint was not removed)

* The grounding conductor left from the cut aluminum from the SE cable was also moved to another lug that he installed on the enclosure.

* The lug next to the neutral was left empty and the neutral was still not bonded.

His response was:

* What was left on the SE cable was the equivalent to a #4
* Since this feeds a sub-panel, the ground and neutral needs to be separated.

He then told me to call him when I know what I am talking about.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
This is a great example of hack work. BTW no bushing is required on a cable connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.