New house service has no unused spaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozark01

Can the panel in a new house with a 200 amp service be completely full with no empty spaces? The panel already has a tandem breaker installed so all of the required circuits can be connected.

480sparky

Can the panel in a new house with a 200 amp service be completely full with no empty spaces?.....

Yes.

......The panel already has a tandem breaker installed so all of the required circuits can be connected.

Hopefully, the panel is rated for use with tandem breakers.

However, filling a panel in new construction is an extremely poor design and using tandems shows poor planning.

ozark01

Thanks! I searched the code and could not find anything that said you had to have spares so I assumed a full panel was ok. I agree it is poor design on $400K house. The panel is rated for tandem breakers.

480sparky

Thanks! I searched the code and could not find anything that said you had to have spares so I assumed a full panel was ok. I agree it is poor design on $400K house. The panel is rated for tandem breakers.

Probably the closest you'll find is 90.8(A).

charlie

90.8 Wiring Planning.
(A) Future Expansion and Convenience.
Plans and specifications that provide ample space in raceways, spare raceways, and additional spaces allow for future increases in electric power and communication circuits. Distribution centers located in readily accessible locations provide convenience and safety of operation.

From the 2008 NFPA NEC Handbook:
The requirement for providing the exclusively dedicated equipment space mandated by 110.26(F) supports the intent of 90.8(A) regarding future increases in the use of electricity. The phrase ?and communications circuits? was added for the 2005 Code to point out the importance of considering communications circuits when planning future needs. Electrical and communications distribution centers should contain additional space and capacity for future additions and should be conveniently located for easy accessibility.

Where electrical and communications distribution equipment is installed so that easy access cannot be achieved, a spare raceway(s) or pull line(s) should be run at the initial installation. . .

The NEC doesn't include anything other than to make to make a statement about what would be nice to have. The handbook commentary makes some should statements (the red is mine) but there is no requirement to be smart. Also, the builder may have required a shoestring job for the electrician to get the job. If I were the electrician, I would not put my money into a larger and more expensive panelboard unless someone were willing to pony up the cash for the additional expense. :)

growler

Can the panel in a new house with a 200 amp service be completely full with no empty spaces? The panel already has a tamden breaker installed so all of the required circuits can be connected.

How many circuits is the panel listed/rated for and how many circuits are actually being used?

If it's a 40 position panel with room for only 30 full sized breakers and there is only one tandem breaker being used there are still 9 possible spare circuits.

Check the number of circuits that the panel is rated for and count the number of circuits that have been installed.

Buy the way if there is room for it I buy the full sized 40 position panels because I like the extra room and the full sized breakers but everyone isn't like that.

480sparky

..............Buy the way if there is room for it I buy the full sized 40 position panels because I like the extra room and the full sized breakers but everyone isn't like that.

With the deletion of the 42-max limit, you can get panels with more spaces these days.

ozark01

30 circuit Square D panel with one tandem for a total of 31 spaces being used. The house has gas heat, gas water heater, and gas range. Two condensing units at 21 amps each FLA. Electric dryer. Both A/C's running together amped out a 25 amps with an amp meter.

Attached is a picture of the panel.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If that's a 30/40 panel it has 9 spare single pole spaces. If it's only a 30 circuit panel you already have a violation.

480sparky

AFI breaker tails that did not reach the neutral bar.

Looks to me like they made it. I don't think the AFCI's pigtail is under that red wire nut at all.... it goes to the top right terminal. It's just under the make-up and looks like it's in it, but I don't think it is.

Look at the pigtails on the left and right...... 5 out of 7 are terminated all the way down to the bottom.

Edit to add: I did notice there are two types of AFCI breakers. Some with white test buttons, some with yellow. I don't think the yellow ones are combo-type.

Last edited:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Blow up the pic they are definitely pigtailed AFCI neutrals. One looks like it has two home runs

480sparky

Blow up the pic they are definitely pigtailed AFCI neutrals. One looks like it has two home runs

I disagree. I see 7 AFCI breakers, and 7 pigtails landing on the neutral bar.

AFCIpigtails-1.jpg

I got a dollar that says the pigtail is not in that wirenut, but goes to the top right neutral terminal. I can see a little bit of it behind the two whites that are in the nut, yet behind the red of the wire nut.​

afcipigtails3.jpg

ozark01

The yellow buttons are GFCI breakers for the kitchen receptacles. I'll try and go back to the house today and check on the wire nuts and 30/40 space panel.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
infinity said:
If that's a 30/40 panel it has 9 spare single pole spaces. If it's only a 30 circuit panel you already have a violation.
I agree. I don't recall what the configuration is on a 30 circuit Sq D main breaker panel but, the panel cover is usually the place of reference and will tell whether tandem breakers can be used.

Looking at the blown up photos and on a side bar to this I'd like to ask where are the GEC and water main ground wires landed ? I don't see them in the panel. Didn't mean to throw a wrench into things:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.