The pc blue screen syndrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have a dell PC desktop and I need to be able to do a step by step boot up so I can stop Norton from crashing my pc. I cannot get a full reboot since I tried to renew my subscription

eric9822

Occupation
Electrical and Instrumentation Tech
Assuming you have Windows. Press F8 repeatedly after turning it on until you get a boot option menu.

Thank you. I figured that out about 2 minutes after I posted. I could not rememeber which "F" button it was

Dennis
I stopped using Norton about 1 1/2 years ago. I now use Bit Defender. It is robost, but does not overload your computer and also does not take over, like Norton does.

I tell all I know to think about changing over, the ones who do enjoy the change in their computer as I did/do.

Jacob S

If you decide to remove norton, do a google search on how to "completely" remove norton. It involves deleting some registry entries and files after the initial uninstall process. Like others have said, Norton is a virus on its own. I use AVG free, and like many other free virus programs, it is small, light, and effective.

eric9822

Occupation
Electrical and Instrumentation Tech
If you decide to remove norton, do a google search on how to "completely" remove norton. It involves deleting some registry entries and files after the initial uninstall process. Like others have said, Norton is a virus on its own. I use AVG free, and like many other free virus programs, it is small, light, and effective.

AVG is great. A whole lot less overhead then Norton and it is free.99

PetrosA

I use Avast for basic protection, but I also found a program called Malwarebytes AntiMalware that has a free version that you have to run and update manually (paid version is automatic). It has caught things that Avast wasn't able to catch. I may switch over at some point...

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

Thanks Jacob. I did use the norton removal tool and when I install Norton 360 I get the blue screen. I have to reboot using F8 to run in safe mode so that I can uninstall Norton thru the add/remove programs. All this works fine-- I then run the removal tool and try to load Norton 360 and appropriately named we start the 360 again-- Blue screen-------------ugh. I just got them to reimburse my money. Not sure what I will be doing.

Thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.