230.9 (a) 2002 nec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minuteman

I'm in Nashville visiting my Dad and Brother. However, before I left we failed an inspection when I updated the service to a two-story duplex home built in 1939. Each unit had only 60 amps apiece. Both services had been added to several times over the years. The lower unit had a 100-amp newer panel in the basement. The upper unit had a fused disco in the basement that fed a 100-amp panel in the utility room of the upper unit. Both also had other circuits feed from the basement

Since the general location of the feeders/branch circuits was in the basement, I decided to keep the service location in the same place and just update most everything.

I installed a 2" EMT riser from the new meter twin pack up the wall centered between the basement door and a lower window about 2 feet apart. The riser also passess a upper windows about foot away. The WH is installed about 10" above the upper window and the SE drip loop is about 4" above the window. There is a service knob on the opposite side of the riser that the window.

The AHJ uses the 2002 cycle. The inspector red tagged the install, not because of the WH/drip loop, but because the riser is passes only about 12" from the windows.

Am I reading the code wrong? Can the riser be installed close to the windows as long as the SE cables are above it?

SEO

Section 230.9 (A) states that service conductors installed as open conductors or multiconductor cable without an overall outer jacket shall have a clearance of not less than (3ft) from windows that are designed to be opened. 2" EMT could be closer than 3 ft to the window as well as SEU cable with an overall outer jacket. Have the inspector explain how he interprets section 230.9 (A).

Minuteman

Section 230.9 (A) states that service conductors installed as open conductors or multiconductor cable without an overall outer jacket shall have a clearance of not less than (3ft) from windows that are designed to be opened. 2" EMT could be closer than 3 ft to the window as well as SEU cable with an overall outer jacket. Have the inspector explain how he interprets section 230.9 (A).

Yeah, I plan to ask the chief inspector. I have some before and after pics at home.

charlie

. . . they may have some other local codes or POCO rules.
Good call, you do need to ask what the local codes are. We have the Indiana amendments and most jurisdictions also have amendments to make their own local code. Of course, it could just be a misinterpretation. :)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I went through this with a mis-informed HI. My friend was being 'forced' to have the SE cable rerouted, and I made an exhibit equal to the HI's report that explained just how wrong he was. We prevailed. ;)

Minuteman

This inspector is fairly new at inspecting. He is retired from the local and does not have much experience in resi. In this case, I think he has just misread the code. This AHJ prints (and sells for $15) their amendments/supplements. I looked it up in my copy and there is nothing about this there.

Status
Not open for further replies.