New house service has no unused spaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurk27

There is also a picture of the gas meter ground when view from the crawl space. They forgot to connect the wire together it seems.

Gas meter ground?

Did you mean water pipe ground?
the only GEC I see is the one solid coming up from the bottom, and running through the nipple to the meter.

If it is to the water meter, check to see if it is a #4

I'm curious to know how they landed two GEC's in the meter, most meters only have one terminal for GEC's?

Unless they didn't go to the meter with the rod GEC?

ozark01

The broken ground in the earlier picture is going to the gas meter (see picture). The water service is plastic and the house is plumbed in CPVC so there is no water service to ground. The driven GEC goes to the meter base. (see picture). The bare copper wire in the nipple is going to the gas meter. It is #4.

iwire

Staff member
The broken ground in the earlier picture is going to the gas meter (see picture). The water service is plastic and the house is plumbed in CPVC so there is no water service to ground. The driven GEC goes to the meter base. (see picture). The bare copper wire in the nipple is going to the gas meter. It is #4.

Why is there a 4 AWG running to the gas line? :confused:

The NEC forbids using the gas line as a grounding electrode, 250.52(B).

And if the gas line needs bonding it can be done with the EGC of the circuit that might energize it. So a 14, 12 or maybe 10 AWG would be the largest size required 250.104(B)

growler

Do they have a driven rod or a Ufer ground?

They may just be trying to bond the gas meter and the utility may not wish this so it may have been cut on purpose. Check with the inspector.

Around here if they can find 2 feet of cooper in the water system they want it bonded. And that may be at the water heater. and they want hot and cold bonded.

ozark01

I believe this is the reason for the bonding to the service.

The 2009 edition of NFPA 54, National Fuel Gas Code, includes new requirements for bonding CSST gas piping systems to the grounding conductor of the building's electrical system, to reduce the possibility of damage by lightning strikes by reducing the electrical potential between metallic objects and building systems, including gas distribution.

"7.13.2 CSST. CSST gas piping systems shall be bonded to the electrical service grounding electrode system at the point where the gas service enters the building. The bonding jumper shall not be smaller than 6 AWG copper wire or equivalent."

"7.13.3 Prohibited Use. Gas piping shall not be used as a grounding conductor or electrode. This does not preclude the bonding of metallic piping to a grounding system."

"7.13.4* Lightning Protection Systems. Where a lightning protection system is installed, the bonding of the gas piping shall be in accordance with NFPA 780, Standard for the Installation of Lightning Protection Systems."

hurk27

Here some more pictures of the water entrance and some of the CSST gas piping.

Wow
I have never seen high pressure gas brought into a house, here the regulator is outside on the meter just before entering the house, inside you only have 5 inch's of water column, some generators might require a higher pressure but they are only for outside use.

and to have CSST on the high side ouch!

I know it's not your call, but I would never have that in my house, and in the attic, thats just asking for lightning to hit it.

The bonding is required by the manufacture of the CSST, but to me placing the bonding at the meter doesn't remove the danger of lightning if it hits the appliance at the load end.

The whole problem with CSST is when lightning hits a flue or chimney for a fire place, it trys to flow through the CSST to the bonding, this has resulted in the CSST blowing open and dumping gas in the house (can't imagine having it happen to a 20 psi line as in your photo) to me (my opinion) is to bond at the fire place, or furnace to provide a path for the lightning in parallel with the CSST back to the service grounding (Earthing)

I just don't like CSST stuff, it's just a cheaper way out for the plumbers, but in the long run cost more because of the bonding.

Unfortunately it's allowed, but I back charge when we have to bond around the stuff!

Last edited:

ozark01

The gas pressure was 2.0 pounds up to the regulator. There it is reduced to inches. I attached a better picture of the label.

Spare breakers as per 408.4

Spare breakers as per 408.4

I have a addtional issue regarding NEC 408.4 clause, as per this clause (in 2008 NEC) circuit directory shall show the details of spare breakers / switches as well. Here to comply with this clause what are the specific details shall we indicate the design regarding spare breakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.