Afci

Status
Not open for further replies.

melissa

Hello everyone,

I was recently at a continuing ED class in Georgia. The instructor made a statement that the new code rule for arc fault and tamper resistant requirements will not be adopted untill january 2010. He said the reason for this is to let all of the suppliers sell all non arc fault and tamper resistant recepticals and breakers. He said had this code gone into effect this year it would hurt the supply industry by having receptical and breakers on the shelf that cant be sold. Can anyone verify this for me.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
As far as I can tell GA adopted the 2008 code in 1/09

If you want to know if there is anything in place to allow not using the AFCI I would start by calling the fire marshall. It shouldn't be but a phone call or two to find out.

cadpoint

Hello everyone,

I was recently at a continuing ED class in Georgia. The instructor made a statement that the new code rule for arc fault and tamper resistant requirements will not be adopted untill january 2010. He said the reason for this is to let all of the suppliers sell all non arc fault and tamper resistant recepticals and breakers. He said had this code gone into effect this year it would hurt the supply industry by having receptical and breakers on the shelf that cant be sold. Can anyone verify this for me.

Well not exactly as I read it: (Effective January 1, 2009; AMENDMENT EXPIRES JANUARY 1, 2010)

Your GA law is HERE

based on a Search -> Here

I would call your local AHJ and see what they want!

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Here it is. And here is where you can find this document that shows the GA amendments. http://www.dca.ga.gov/development/c...oads/CodesPDF/NEC2009Amendments_effective.pdf

Basically it looks like the only place you have to put them is bedroom until 01/01/2010

210.12 Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection.
(B) Dwelling Unit Bedrooms. All 120-volt, single phase, 15- and 20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets installed in dwelling unit bedrooms shall be protected by a listed arc-fault circuit interrupter to provide protection of the branch circuit.
FPN: For information on types of arc-fault circuit interrupters, see UL 1699-1999, Standard for Arc-Fault Circuit Interrupters.
Exception: The location of the arc-fault circuit interrupter shall be permitted to be at other than the origination of the branch circuit in compliance with (a) and (b):
(a)
The arc-fault circuit interrupter installed within 1.8m (6 ft) of the branch circuit overcurrent device as measured along the branch circuit conductors.
(b)
The circuit conductors between the branch circuit overcurrent device and the arc-fault circuit interrupter shall be installed in a neutral raceway or a cable with a metallic sheath.
(Effective January 1, 2009; AMENDMENT EXPIRES JANUARY 1, 2010)

celtic

He said the reason for this is to let all of the suppliers sell all non arc fault and tamper resistant recepticals and breakers. He said had this code gone into effect this year it would hurt the supply industry by having receptical and breakers on the shelf that cant be sold. Can anyone verify this for me.

I'll verify it's pretty silly.

Consider this:
Not every State adopts the NEC as it is issued.
Some States may be on the '05, '02 or earlier.
The items could easily be shipped over to those other areas ~ where there IS a demand.

The MFGs are not likely to discontinue production of common devices such as non-tamper-proof recepts and/or non AFCI CBs...as they are required in only dwelling units ~ leaving non-dwelling applications as the desired market.

The MFGs are not likely to discontinue production of uncommon devices such as AFCI recepts ...as production never really started.
:)

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
The city of Atlanta is enforcing it, along with the "WR" receptacles outside. Missed the "WR" receptacles outside, thought it only apllied to GFI's, but it also applies to regular receptacles outside too. Inspector didn't miss it though. Only thing he got me on for the total remodel from hell!:)

jackson

Accommodating Electrician

Accommodating Electrician

I recently did a real estate purchase inspection on a 1992 built home in Satellite Beach, FL. The home is located in an upscale gated water front community, however, it appears the seller is beyond stingy. The seller's electrician called and told me how he was dealing with the various electrical issues in the report. They are as follows:

1) A sub breaker panel, multiple neutral wires (grounded conductors) are connected at the under 1 lug. Electrician-This panel is rated for multiple neutral connections and since manufacturer's installation instruction supercedes code, the sub panel is OK.

2) Receptacles not GRCI protected as required when house was built, 2 interior garage receptacles and 1 receptacle next to laundry sink. Electrician-The 2 garage receptacles were be removed and capped, the laundry room receptable will be change from a duplex to a single receptacle.

3) Pool blower air switch control and electrical disconnect cabinet door can only be partially open (45 degrees) due to other pool equipment installed in front of cabinet. Electrician-Building department signed off on installation and they have authority over code.

4) Bonding conductor not attached to pool heater bonding lug. Electrician-The existing lug was corroded and did not appear to sized for a #8 conductor, however, the heater is bonded through the electrical system.

5) Pool sub panel cabinet has rust damage and rust damage is noted to electrical components. Electrician-The rust damage does not necessarily mean that the breakers will not trip

It became obvious, the seller did not want to spend any money to make proper electrical repairs and the electrician was willing to accommodate. I have always had respect for electrical contactors, of all the trades, they are the most professional and knowledgeable, however, after our conversation I was dumb-founded.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
I recently did a real estate purchase inspection on a 1992 built home in Satellite Beach, FL. The home is located in an upscale gated water front community, however, it appears the seller is beyond stingy. The seller's electrician called and told me how he was dealing with the various electrical issues in the report. They are as follows:

1) A sub breaker panel, multiple neutral wires (grounded conductors) are connected at the under 1 lug. Electrician-This panel is rated for multiple neutral connections and since manufacturer's installation instruction supercedes code, the sub panel is OK.

2) Receptacles not GRCI protected as required when house was built, 2 interior garage receptacles and 1 receptacle next to laundry sink. Electrician-The 2 garage receptacles were be removed and capped, the laundry room receptable will be change from a duplex to a single receptacle.

3) Pool blower air switch control and electrical disconnect cabinet door can only be partially open (45 degrees) due to other pool equipment installed in front of cabinet. Electrician-Building department signed off on installation and they have authority over code.

4) Bonding conductor not attached to pool heater bonding lug. Electrician-The existing lug was corroded and did not appear to sized for a #8 conductor, however, the heater is bonded through the electrical system.

5) Pool sub panel cabinet has rust damage and rust damage is noted to electrical components. Electrician-The rust damage does not necessarily mean that the breakers will not trip

It became obvious, the seller did not want to spend any money to make proper electrical repairs and the electrician was willing to accommodate. I have always had respect for electrical contactors, of all the trades, they are the most professional and knowledgeable, however, after our conversation I was dumb-founded.

I'm not sure if you have question in here... I will tell you the faith you put in people (including electricians) is undeserved. Wave a few bucks in front of someones face and they will say anything no matter how unethical. You should already know this by the stream of testimonials in every commercial of people who's "live were changed" by whatever crap product that the commercial is happening to promote...

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
arc faults have not been adopted yet; TR's have. if your city is trying to enforce it, call the DCA and verify they have an approved amendment on file. if not, it cannot legally be enforced. period. not that i'm against the rule; just making sure the playing field is level for everyone.

in other news, not a single supply house in my area is stocking combination AFCI's, which went into effect 01/2008 by rule of the '05 NEC and GA had no amendment for that code.

Status
Not open for further replies.