ceiling fan leash

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceb58

I saw something tonight that caught my attention. We were eating in a Cracker Barrel restaurant and I noticed that all of the ceiling fans had a leash attached. Upon further investigation I saw the circ. were ran in wire mold and the fans were attached to wire mold ceiling boxes (not sure of the lb rating for the boxes). The leash ( plastic coated steel cable)was hooked into a eye bolt in the 2x10 joist and then attached to the top of the fan motor. I had two thoughts. The EC who did the install was on top of their game or some where they had a fan fall and they came back and added the leashes as a cya.

R Bob

I saw something tonight that caught my attention. We were eating in a Cracker Barrel restaurant and I noticed that all of the ceiling fans had a leash attached. Upon further investigation I saw the circ. were ran in wire mold and the fans were attached to wire mold ceiling boxes (not sure of the lb rating for the boxes). The leash ( plastic coated steel cable)was hooked into a eye bolt in the 2x10 joist and then attached to the top of the fan motor. I had two thoughts. The EC who did the install was on top of their game or some where they had a fan fall and they came back and added the leashes as a cya.

Wiremold actually makes a ceil fan box. (V5738AF)

I don't know if that was what you were looking at or how to tell from the vantage point of sitting at a table eatin country ham, mashed taters w/gravy, green beans cooked with fatback, and corn bread...um, um, um.

In any event, the leash isn't a bad idea.

JFletcher

The leash ( plastic coated steel cable)was hooked into a eye bolt in the 2x10 joist and then attached to the top of the fan motor. I had two thoughts. The EC who did the install was on top of their game or some where they had a fan fall and they came back and added the leashes as a cya.

I've seen these at Busch Gardens, Williamsburg, as well as other places. My thought was the leashes were required by building code or manufacturer specs. :shrug:

quogueelectric

Wiremold does make fan support rated boxes.

480sparky

I could easily imagine a company like Cracker Barrel Old Country Store, Inc. simply requiring such a thing. I doubt what you saw was a result fo their first rodeo.

macmikeman

Some fans I have hung have a separate cable provided in the package and required by the manufacturer to provide for safety in case the fan gets loose from the hanger. They were Minka brand I believe. The fans were pretty heavy. Not like the avarage Hunter or Hampton Bay ones.

mivey

Some fans I have hung have a separate cable provided in the package and required by the manufacturer to provide for safety in case the fan gets loose from the hanger. They were Minka brand I believe. The fans were pretty heavy. Not like the avarage Hunter or Hampton Bay ones.
I have never noticed one before. Now I'm going to being looking for them. Time for Uncle Herschel's Favorite!

iwire

Staff member
I could easily imagine a company like Cracker Barrel Old Country Store, Inc. simply requiring such a thing. I doubt what you saw was a result fo their first rodeo.

Exactly what I was thinking as well, chain stores / restaurants often have very detailed specifications.

iwire

Staff member
I have installed MH track heads that came with small safety cable loops as well, the directions required that the safety cable be wrapped around the track.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
It is getting to be a pretty common practice now to have safety cables on fans in commercial applications. It's been done to Hi Bays for years. And by the way, do not park too close to the parking lot lights there, I have posted pictures before of their pole bases upturned, they bury them less than 2-3'.

ceb58

Wiremold actually makes a ceil fan box. (V5738AF)

I don't know if that was what you were looking at or how to tell from the vantage point of sitting at a table eatin country ham, mashed taters w/gravy, green beans cooked with fatback, and corn bread...um, um, um.

In any event, the leash isn't a bad idea.

Have no idea if the were the rated ones. The wiremold and boxes were painted to match the ceiling to "hide" the raceway.
And it was chicken-n-dumplings, okra, pintos and corn bread and of course sweet tea:D

renosteinke

Canadian rules require such a leash, though it's often concealed within the fan. Courtesy of NAFTA, it's very possible that you will someday receive "Canada-ready" fans from your supplier.

daleuger

Canadian rules require such a leash, though it's often concealed within the fan. Courtesy of NAFTA, it's very possible that you will someday receive "Canada-ready" fans from your supplier.

I did work in Canada for a little over a year, but even before that....

Status
Not open for further replies.